Screen viewing problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Dell with Vista Home about 1 year old. About 4 weeks ago installed a new HP Deskjet printer. (This may not be connected to the problem).

Recently my browser starts normally then after 5 mins to an hour reverts to a partial screen as below;

View media item 7364
I have checked my settings on the flatscreen I have and they haven't changed. The only way I have found to get rid of this is to restart IE. This is a real pain..... everything is squashed up as you can see.

Help me please......

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yeah..... anyhow.... We inadvertantly downloaded Google toolbars recently.... I have uninstalled it, could that be it?

Have AVG latest edition. will try running that.

Yeah..... anyhow.... We inadvertantly downloaded Google toolbars recently.... I have uninstalled it, could that be it?

Have AVG latest edition. will try running that.

As breezer says try firefox instead. I prefer it, but each to their own

Also, try malwarebytes for a spywayre scan or spybot search and destroy

Just ran Malwarebytes it picked up 2 trojans and two rookit.agents. Two questions. Could this be the cause of my screen probs? and Why didn't AVG pick these up?

Cheers lads.

Just ran Malwarebytes it picked up 2 trojans and two rookit.agents. Two questions. Could this be the cause of my screen probs? and Why didn't AVG pick these up?

Cheers lads.

It could be be the cause yes, but so could many other things. To be, it just looks like some kind of sidebar. Even so, removal of the rootkits and trojans should be your priority now.

I'm not a fan of AVG, but a virus scanner doesn't usually target rootkits anyway, although some of the better ones do have good rootkit detection.

A Combination of a virus and spywayre scanner plus a firewall if needed is always a good level of protection.

Following a problem I had with Internet Explorer 7 (IE7), I decided to give FireFox (FF) a go. I have to say I was reluctant as I really thought IE7 was very good, until things stated going wrong! I have been running FF for a few weeks now, as far as I am concerned FF is the Dogs Doodees! I have installed a couple of Add-ons like the facility to open a new window with the tab (like in IE7). FF hasn't let me down once. It seems very stable and the ability to 'tune it' how you like is fantastic. Get it now!

One thing to be aware of with Firefox - this one is for 'web-designers' - that is can show websites differently then IE. Mainly formatting etc, so if you are checking your webpages, make sure you check them in both browser types before you set them live.

Just to update.

I went through all the applications installed since this problem occurred, uninstalled them and only re-installed the bare minimum to operate.

It seems that the HP software was the culprit. Since uninstalling all the garbage that comes with the printer disc and only installing the driver the problem has not recurred. I was quite surprised at the amount of rubbish that is bolted on to the installation software for Hewlett Packard.

Thank you guys for your help.

Sponsored Links
Back