screwfix tank connector leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought one of these
It is a 3/4" BSP nut and bolt though the tank side with a washer included and a 7/8" compression fitting on the other end ( though they cant seam to be bothered in listing this info in there description of there item)

any way the tank i made is from one of those 20 litre plastic transparent water drinking bottle that you see in all the snoot hoot hoot mega corps with free money to burn woke offices

I bored the hole TDC at the bottom of the drum and fitted the 3/4" tank connectors thread though the hole and inserted the washer first, then the 3/4" nut though the top of the bottle and got washer though threads then onto thread nut onto bolt as tight as what would seam like it wont snamp and tried it

Anyway with tank filled with water and it leaked! drained water and threaded it a little tighter and it keeps slipping and making a popping noise and going loose ever time i turned it 360o. so it must be slipping on the thread

Taken it appart and nothing has snapped so why will it not compress like a tank connector should?

A

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Last edited:
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
I bought one of these
It is a 3/4" BSP nut and bolt though the tank side with a washer included and a 7/8" compression fitting on the other end ( though they cant seam to be bothered in listing this info in there description of there item)

any way the tank i made is from one of those 20 litre plastic transparent water drinking bottle that you see in all the snoot hoot hoot mega corps with free money to burn woke offices

I bored the hole TDC at the bottom of the drum and fitted the 3/4" tank connectors thread though the hole and inserted the washer first, then the 3/4" nut though the top of the bottle and got washer though threads then onto thread nut onto bolt as tight as what would seam like it wont snamp and tried it

Anyway with tank filled with water and it leaked! drained water and threaded it a little tighter and it keeps slipping and making a popping noise and going loose ever time i turned it 360o. so it must be slipping on the thread

Taken it appart and nothing has snapped so why will it not compress like a tank connector should?

A
I'd love to see some pictures !

What is woke offices

I wonder if you are woke to use that fitting. correct fitting would be a tank connector. The washer would be on the water side with plain flange to act as water seal. What is happening in your case is, the water is going through the thread to leak unless of course as Cross Thread says the tank material is too thin

no the washer is on the correct size. but that is a metal tank connecter in the diagram you show. will it work better and is it the same size at bough ends?

Designed for a tank 5 mm ish thick ,your tank is thinner ? So run out of thread,puta second washer on the outside.
so you defo think that if i use a thicker washer it will compress better then?

dose that mean that an over flow tank connector is not desinged to be submerged in water 24/7?
Yes. It should be fitted above the normal water level so would be dry until a fault occurred. It would then transfer water to the overflow pipe. This water would not be under pressure. The seals and connections are unlikely to cope with constant submersion and/or higher pressure.
DP showed you the correct fitting in post #3

• Thanks
Reactions: DP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back