Screwing plywood to floorboards - screws not going flush

the screws i suggested above should sort the problem
once they strip the thread [go round and round]the screw will never countersink or do any good

That makes sense, I'll pick some up asap and hopefully that will resolve the problem. Appreciate your help, many thanks.

just been out and screwed 3 off the screws i suggested into 6mm ply and 21mm pine
crisp clean easily screws self countersunk no hint off striping :cool:

as an aside you need a pz2 bit not a ph2

Sponsored Links
the screws i suggested above should sort the problem
once they strip the thread [go round and round]the screw will never countersink or do any good

That makes sense, I'll pick some up asap and hopefully that will resolve the problem. Appreciate your help, many thanks.

just been out and screwed 3 off the screws i suggested into 6mm ply and 21mm pine
crisp clean easily screws self countersunk no hint off striping :cool:

as an aside you need a pz2 bit not a ph2

That's really helpful, thanks.

OP; 3/4" screws are a bit short and will not bite well=enough into the sub-floor material. Try longer screws - say 1" or 30mm - there will then be enough threard to bite into the subfloor and pull tight down on the ply, possibly without even countersinking.

OP; 3/4" screws are a bit short and will not bite well=enough into the sub-floor material. Try longer screws - say 1" or 30mm - there will then be enough threard to bite into the subfloor and pull tight down on the ply, possibly without even countersinking.

you got here in the end :D ;)

Sponsored Links

you got here in the end :D ;)

Just to say I've been to Srewfix this morning (I found out there was one about five minutes from my front door that I didn't know about) and bought everything as suggested and the screws are flying in! The most fun I've had in ages!

Really appreciate the advice from everyone and your patience with such a novice.

Just got to lay the vinyl now! I'll leave that till next weekend I think...

great glad we could help ;)

thanks for letting us know how it went

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back