Screws been bored

R

Rohaq

So I'm opening up a PlayStation 2 to do a DVD drive replacement, and then I find that a three of the screws inside it appear to have had the centre of their philips drive bored slightly, so my screwdriver (No. 0) can't get a good enough grip to unscrew them.

Any tips on getting these screws out?

Sponsored Links
Without seeing it, they maybe a Tamper Proof screw type.
See this. You can buy them individually.

Nope, just normal Philips screws that someone managed to bore out the centre of. PS2s don't require any special tools to open.

Sponsored Links
why would someone open up a PS2, drill holes in the screws and put the cover back on ??????

think about it again Rohaq

these must be some type of tamper proof screws

swelec said:
why would someone open up a PS2, drill holes in the screws and put the cover back on ??????

think about it again Rohaq

these must be some type of tamper proof screws
Because they handled the screwdriver like a monkey? PS2s do not use tamperproof screws, I'm telling you that right now. The screws aren't neatly shaped, they look like someone has attempted to open them up and really messed it up in the process.

kevplumb said:
so get a left handed drill bit :)
Hmm, will do a bit later, I'm at my dad's house at the moment, and navigating his garage is a mammoth task; I think I'll wait for him to come home first ;)

If you can take a picture of the offending screws, that would help.

Did you buy this PS2 new or secondhand? If the latter, it is possible that someone has already tried to get into it using inappropriate tools. I know several people that are far too fond of their Swiss army knife to invest in proper screwdrivers, and end up chewing screwheads.

This mentions a similar problem inside a PS2. I like one of the solutions, glue something into the screw head and see if it can take the torque to unscrew. Not sure what glue you would use, epoxy resins might not resist the shearing force.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back