Screws in metal stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to mount a extra large mirror on a stud-wall in my new-build. The stud-work i'm told is metal studs. Can I just make a pilot hole on the metal stud and just use self-tapping screws going straight into the metal stud? Any particular self-tapping screws that can hold the weight?

Sponsored Links
The metal studs I have seen are a very flat U, the width on the front is 1" and the width 2 1/2". So you have to be very accurate with your drilling. I think that 3mm screws should do with 2.5mm pilot.
Frank

Sponsored Links
extra large mirror

If it's really heavy and only has two mounting holes for example, there's no way I'd just use self tappers or self drilling screws into the steel stud, it's too thin. It would be fine for light weight items. Use hollow wall fixings instead...

MSA_Plasterboard_cmyk.jpg

...and buy the setting tool for them to make it much simpler to install correctly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222050166786

Gaz :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back