screws/ nails nuts and bolts stock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

What stock should is best to keep at hand.

I'll be investing in some storage boxes and want to keep all sorts of bits available thought I'd ask some of you pros what you think is worth keeping in the box.

What's screws and sizes, nails nuts bolts etc....

I get involved in all aspects of home improvement so even plumbing joints are worth having a few of.

Sponsored Links
With regards to plumbing, if this is a service you offer it could depend on what you are insured to do?

For screws I would just purchase a trade case of screws.
Always handy to have a variety of wall/rawl plugs yellow, red, blue, grey.
Plus anchor and toggle fittings, I always carry a selection of thunderbolts too.
Nuts and bolts are so varied, so tend to leave that as and when required.

Last edited:
Hi,

There's some many variations of screws and nails that's I'm not sure if there's anything I'm missing out on to make the wjob easier.

So in regards to wood screws are some superior than others or is there a god generic one to use,

How about ones that go into masonry? Any specific ones?

Are you trade or DIY ? These days with Screwfix etc in every town and open most hours , do you really need to keep a large stock? I've got so many bits of everything I can never find what I want and end up going out to buy more

Sponsored Links
Hi Davehearns

I take on small projects here and there and also get called up for small jobs around the house like hanging up bits and bobs, leaky tap etc etc.

I get your point but really would like to keep some essentials in my garage. Saves me running out to shops evertime.

Unless you know what you use most, get a trade case or pack and then replace what you use most or buy in what you are often missing.

Everyone's usage is different.

Watch Aldi for their regular offers of competent kits of washers, springs, nuts, bolts, machine screws, o rings, etc. These are great to have for less used but often needed bits and pieces.

other than the advice given. Consider a box of Grip It fittings.

I recently had to hang a LCD TV. The wall was a metal stud plasterboard wall. I dislike toggle fixings. The Grip It fixings worked perfectly. Not cheap though,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back