Sdium Floodlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right here we go....

Have got four of these toys up in the workshop.

They did run on 400w bulbs.

They are all now blown over the years and I have finally got the new ones.

To save on the power I have got 150w lamps this time.

From memory would I be correct in saying that they will not run with the same ballast (ballast and ignitor rated 250/400w)

Would two lamps therefor be able to run in parallel from one control circuit.

(i did decide to try them straight in ad I get the usual start up then once they reach full power they start to flicker before going out, then once cool enough reigniting i left powered up)

Sponsored Links
As a rule you should only use the correct size lamp for the ballast and ignitor, assuming you are using external ignitor type lamps ;) . I say that as I had a job of replacing 20+ lots of control gear where someone had put 400w sons in 250w high bay fittings, ballasts didn't take too well to it.
Replacing the control gear if you want to use isn't normally too difficult - theres usually a diagram on the ignitor. New fittings aren't that expensive either. As you probably know sodiums are discharge lights hence if you have moving machinery you should also have a normal filament lamp for the machine.

As you probably know sodiums are discharge lights hence if you have moving machinery you should also have a normal filament lamp for the machine.

Why?? Is it to do with flicker and making a moving object look stationary???

Sponsored Links
You got it! Like the car timing lights.
Another way around it would be to spread the lights around 3 phases so there is at no time all of the lights at 0v (which happens 100 times per second 50hz supply) but that can prove expensive if you don't already have a 3 phase supply / wiring in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back