Sealant on various plumbing joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered if people use and form of sealant (eg plumbers gold) on certain plumbing joints? Specifically I was curious about the ones below:

Tap connectors (on the fibre washer)
On a pop up basin waste
Around flush valves (where the threaded part is connected to the cistern)
On the flush valve seal between the cistern and the pan on CC toilet
On the coupling bolts on CC toilet
On 40mm compression waste fittings

Sponsored Links
Tap connectors (on the fibre washer) No fibre washer creates a seal.

Around flush valves (where the threaded part is connected to the cistern) No the rubber washer creates the seal.

On the flush valve seal between the cistern and the pan on CC toilet You mean the do-nut washer? No the do-nut washer creates the seal.

On 40mm compression waste fittings No the rubber washer creates the seal.

On a basin waste I would normally use silicon between the waste and the basin (discarding the supplied rubber washer).

On a basin waste I would normally use silicon between the waste and the basin (discarding the supplied rubber washer).

And after time it'll turn black around the grating squeaky old chap!!!
Always use Plumbers Mait fella..... ;)

A wee rap of PTFE around fibre washers on tap connectors.
Nothing on doughnuts, well in fact this forum is affectionately known as DIYdoughnuts....... :LOL: :LOL:
Boss White(generic name) on all compression joints.
PTFE on all threads or Loctite 55 if you're not a cheapskate!!
A wee rap of PTFE on waste trap washers connecting to gratings if it's a bit out of alinement.

Sponsored Links

Nothing on doughnuts, well in fact this forum is affectionately known as DIYdoughnuts....... :LOL: :LOL:
A wee rap of PTFE on waste trap washers connecting to gratings if it's a bit out of alinement.

I honestly havn't had a waste turn black (to my knowledge anyway - maybe it did and they never called me back) :LOL:

As for PM. I've just thrown two tubs out which I have had since 2001

I honestly havn't had a waste turn black (to my knowledge anyway - maybe it did and they never called me back) :LOL:

As for PM. I've just thrown two tubs out which I have had since 2001

Plumbers' Mait is a great product fella. Some CC WCs you can never get water tight; run a sausage of PM around the doughnut washer & reassemble, never fails!!
Connecting a waste pipe into a cast iron socket, PM is used every time....;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back