sealant residue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a secondhand upvc door. It has hardened sealant on the front face.Any suggestions on how to remove it? I,ve pared it down with a chisel,then tried some liquid that was supposed to remove or at least soften it. Useless. I have soaked a small shaving for four days and its still rock hard .Need some diy help please.

Sponsored Links
If it's silicone sealant, use silicone soap. If it's a polysulphide try vinegar after removal with the chisel, failing that a bit of toothpaste worked up to a lather with water, and applied with a sponge, will remove most residue and marks, also it polishes the PVC...pinenot :)

hi, yes foxhole I,m sure its sealant. Thanks for your tip pinenot, I will try it but i,ve been told screwfix has a no nonsense sealant remover which is very good. I will report back and let both of you know how I got on, but not for a few days. auldreekie

Sponsored Links
hi, I tried the sealant remover.The bottle said leave for ten to fifteen minutes-----more like ten to fifteen hours. To cut a long story short I laid the door flat and used a sharp chisel.Slow,but sure. auldreekie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back