Sealed Radiator - Any Help Please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 storey house and the radiator in the top room only heats up at the bottom. I went to bleed it and its sealed at both ends (usually one end has the valve to let air out etc), how do i bleed a radiator like this???

The pressure in our combi heater is at 1 bar, so the pressure should be fine - should'nt it?

Any helpful comments would be gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
The bleed valve is on the back at the top and probably covered by a very discreet, plastic button.

i've just checked it out and theres nothing anywhere to bleed from? Would anybody recommend carefully loosening one of the sealed ends?
once again any ideas or comments are gratefully received - thanks.

So you have a radiator at the highest point of the house that has no method of bleeding air out of it? Sounds as though you have been seen off! If by "sealed ends" you mean the threaded bolts at the top of the rad where the bleed point should be then you could loosen one of these very slowly until you hear the air coming out. Take care that you don't let it come undone completely as you would be surprised how quickly water at 1 bar can come out. The best solution is to wait until the warm weather returns and see if you can purchase a bleed valve - I'm not an expert but these should be a fairly standard fitting. After bleeding a lot of air out of the radiator you may need to re-pressurise your boiler to take it back to 1 bar. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Eh, that's a good idea IanDB, but it could be done now instead of the summer. Close the lockshield valve and the adjustable valve (head off to allow you to close it if it's a thermostatic valve). Then one of the sealing plugs can come out without water coming out. Screw in bleed valve, available from plumbcentre, etc etc with thread sealing compound. Open rad valves. Job done. :D

Is this a new rad or an old roll top (myson)??

Does it have convector fins at the rear??

The reason I ask the info above could be useless if it is a roll top.

If it is a roll top Oilmans first reply must be the answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back