Sealed unit shatter wth cold?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Woken at 3am by huge noise, look around, saw nothing so thought nothing more of it. Opened curtains this morning to find outer pane of window opening light shattered, but still intact. Can the cold make this happen? It hit -9 here last night according to my max/min therrmometer.

What might it cost to replace? around 710mmx420mm, no fancy "K" glass or anything.

Cant see how the UPVC beads come off, so I can get an accurate measure. Don't want to wreck them - are they clipped?

Sponsored Links
I'd never heard of this happening,but the inner glass on my bathroom window sealed unit exploded at 6 this morning. :cry:

It's not uncommon & happens due to thermal shock – difference in temperature between the inside & outside glass panes. Often it can be triggered by a very small flaw, nick or badly fitted packing around the glazed unit. It can sit there for years & be fine, only blowing when the unit gets severely stressed.

Quiet a while since I fitted one but the last sealed unit I bought trade cost me £85; it was 170cm x 70cm (large) toughened K glass, argon filled. Phone around for prices but on that basis I can’t imagine yours should cost more than around 30 quid; fitting it is another matter though! The beading profile is clipped into place but how easy it comes off will depend on the DG unit & how old it is; some can be a real pig. If you’re in any doubt it will probably be better to get it supplied & fitted but if you go through your insurance, reckon on them doubling the price. Weather it’s worth claiming depends how much your policy excess is.

Sponsored Links
Got the beads off - a bloody good fit but nothing that a soft mallet and blunt 2" chisel couldn't sort. They come away laterally - towards the centre of the glass - not towards me as I first thought.

Now I've got accurate measurements I can price up a replacement.

Good job :LOL: ; refit the beads shortest first, then fit the corners of the longest bits first, working towards the centre. Glass isn’t as fragile as many think & you need to be confident with it. The bead may need a good thump to finally seat & I use a hammer & a lump of hardwood, sliding the hammer on the glass; it won’t break as long as you don’t hit the glass with the hammer & even then maybe not! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back