Sealed units in wooden frames.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace a load of sealed units in wooden frames and have had conflicting advice.

The original ones are in a casement fitting with wooden beading on the outside. They were puttied in and then the beading was fitted.

I understood that the better method was to seal the units in place with silicone sealant as this will provide a soft cussion and protect the units, extending their life.

However I'f seen some recomendations about using glazing pads and/or double sided foam.

Can anyone advise the best route??
:?:
Many thanks

Martin

Sponsored Links
Dont use putty as the linseed oil attacks the hotmelt/polysulphide seal and they'll steam up in no time, as for the silicone/double sided tape then i have used both systems and found both the be as good as each other.

What conflicting reports have you had?

I have used glazing tape successfully. I used 12mm x 2mm security glazing tape from Reddiseals http://www.reddiseals.com/acatalog/glazing_tapes_security_glazing.html

The original sealed units were 4/6/4 glass puttied into softwood stained frames. I fitted 4/8/4 units using the 2mm tape. I found the best method is to apply the tape to the glazed unit on both sides, then fit to the prepared frame using spacers to set the unit on. The big job of course is removing all the old putty!

I have not tried the silicone sealant method and imagine it would take some practice to get a neat result. I think the argument for using dry glazing tape is that it allows the edge of the glazed unit to be ventilated. This can be aided by cutting vent slots in the lower edge of the bottom bead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back