Sealimg the corners of shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum but guessed it would be as it's to do with sealing the shower to make it watertight.

I've just tiled the shower and wondered if anyone had any good tips on getting a nice finish with the silicone bead around the tray and on the walls where the tiles meet each other at 90degrees.

Also, can anyone recommend a good product for doing this such as anti mould bathroom sealant?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I've just tiled the shower and wondered if anyone had any good tips on getting a nice finish with the silicone bead around the tray and on the walls where the tiles meet each other at 90degrees.
You can get gizmos for doing this which you will probably find them in any DIY shed; personally I never use them but getting a good uniform bead is largely technique & a little practice; . The most common mistake is to try & run the bead slowly when in fact you should do the opposite & run the bead fast in a single seamless motion. Cut the nozzle to the required bead size & pull/angle the gun away from the bead, don’t push it into it; finish off with a wet finger,

Also, can anyone recommend a good product for doing this such as anti mould bathroom sealant?
Use a quality sanitary silicone, preferably neutral cure; Dow Corning or many swear by Everbuild Forever White.

Many thanks for the tips Richard, I've seen the gizmo's for this job but guessed it may be down to technique or practice as you never see the pro's using the tools.

I've just ordered some everbuild sealant as well. I was keen to avoid the products found in large diy stores as I don't believe they're really trade quality and seem overpriced anyway.

i've always found masking tape useful (as i dont do it daily) mask off a little wider than your intended bead, then do exactly as richard says, then remove the masking tape (before it dries) and then go over it lightly again with a wet finger if required so smooth the edges

the masking tape stops you getting in a huge mess if you get too much on by mistake

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back