Sealing an old copper waiste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

When I took out the old kitchen I found an old copper waste pipe which went into the soil stack, it was for the old sink.

Its been hacked about a bit and just had a bit of plastic and a load of electrical tape round it!

Whats the best way to seal this off properly?

Sponsored Links
Does it go into the wall? If so I would cut/grind it off flush with the wall then jam a rag into it so that you are left with about an inch or so of space to fill with plaster filler or similar

No it goes into the soil stack, but it's glued in good a proper.

I was wondering if I cut it back a bit to clean up the edge, could I use a compression cap on it but what size would i need?

Ignore jobloggs, that's a silly suggestion. :rolleyes:

Yes McAlpinecompression fittings will usually fit, but there were loads of different sizes. Inch and a quarter or, more likely, Inch and a half should be fine.

If you're unlucky with those, try a Fernco coupling - rubber thing with a Jubilee/hose clip.

Ultimate non-advised but effective method if you have enough pipe, is to heat it to soften it, clean it back so it's all shiny, then squash it flat and solder it.

Obviously measure it and go to a good merchant..

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris

Thanks for that, Theres not a lot of pipe there it comes out 30mm before bending slightly and this bend continues to where its been hacked off. I like the idea of the fernco coupling.

My other option was putting an end cap over it filled with silicone, this would then act as a silicone plug wrapped round the pipe, but I think that would be a last ditch attempt.

Just searching, does anyone in the UK do these?

http://www.amazon.com/Fernco-PQC-103-Flexible-Pipe-Cap/dp/B000BQUUPI

if it was for a sink (rather than a whb) it will be 38mm, get a McAlpine multifit straight or bend and a blank disc to go in it, dont get involved in sealing it any other way

Not sure about the Screwfix part. I know from past experiences Polypipe push fit stuff fits copper waste. (Pushfit can vary in size slightly between manufacturers, so whilst Polypipe will fit, no guarantee anyone elses will... :confused: )

It can be tight to get on the cut pipe, but chamfering the cut copper end and a bit of suitable lubricant helps. Get a coupling and blanking plug appropriate size and they should do the job.

Cut clean and smash it togther and solder it,you will have water and gas tight joint without having to go to all the shops andd checking sizes ,i totally agree with chris on that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back