Sealing and painting breeze blocks - interior garage wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I'm a novice DIYer and want to paint the interior of my garage direcly onto the breeze blocks. I was just wondering what you would recommend as a sealer/primer before applying the paint and what paint would be best to use? The advice I've been given so far is to use watered down PVA as sealant and a standard masonry paint, but I was given that advice by someone not much more experienced than me! Would I be best off using an exterior masonry paint? I ask this because even though I'm painting the interior of the garage, the other side of the blocks are outside and open to the elements.

Many thanks for reading my post and for any advice you may be able to offer!

Merry Christmas

Jon

Sponsored Links
Forget the PVA...you can use anything on concrete blocks..masonry pint is ok, but if its inside it doesnt matter anyway.

Contract matt is ok as is vinyl matt..id go for contract as its only a garage and your not likely to be washing the walls down.

Be prepared to give it three coats though....thin the first by around 30% to let it soak into the surface....then thin the next two by about 20%...to help it go on easier.

Id be tempted to seal the outside first. Any masonry sealant will do, B + q do a value one which works well and is cheap. your concrete blocks and are porous and as im sure its a single wall, damp will penetrate if you dont seal the outside first.

Thanks fo the replies guys.

Actually harrowbuilder it is not a single wall - there is another layer of standard red housebricks on the outside and the breezeblocks inside - my original post was misleading, sorry. It is the interior of the breezeblocks that I want to paint. I guess with the protection of the outer layer of housebricks, I'm best to proceed as suggested by zampa. From what you have said, I guess there would be very little to gain by adding a sealant before painting in this situation?

Many thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
NO need to seal inside.....seal from what??..

You say 'breeze blocks'....do you mean concrete blocks?...a lot of people get the two muddled,, actually i dont think 'breeze blocks' exist as such these days...they are now the light thermalite blocks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back