Sealing Behind Taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Last year I had a new bathroom installed. Everything is to my liking but the sealant behind the taps has gone totally black. We rinse the shower after every use and it gets a good weekly clean, and everything but this area is fine.

Now I have taken the bath panels off and seen signs of water damage on the wall around the corner of the bath, including below these taps. It was dry to touch (despite a few showers between us this morning), so I cant tell whether it was from this bath/shower install or the previous one - which was replaced due to being totally run down. Shower/taps were in similar location to this set up.

Now I know that the whole bath would need resealing which I feel I could do, but behind these taps I am struggling for ideas. The installer seemed to just put on as much as he could, as best he could but I was hoping some of you guys might have some ideas! :)

Sponsored Links
It looks as though the taps are fitted on the long edge rather than where they are usually supposed to go, ie the plug end? Very awkward access to replace the sealant.
Not possible to temporarily remove the taps?

Looks to me that it's the wrong type of bath to have taps fitted on the long edge. There is normally enough room to tile and fit taps comfortably.

Test the area by spraying shower over it and looking under the bath with a torch to see if theres any water running down the wall.

If the seal is ok, you might get away with using some mould remover spray which will remove the black marks and save you having to do any further work.

Sponsored Links
I don't suppose you can recommend any mould remover spray can you? The varies tries with bleach & mr muscle didn't seem to do much!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back