Sealing joints in concrete drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the long concrete driveway of my elderly father has joints, approx 20mm wide which seem to attract weeds etc.

Is there a way to fill these ?

I understand something would need to be flexible, to allow movement (as per the original design).

Which product would be best ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Strangely, I have just been doing some experiments. Basically you fill the cracks with bitumen.

1 Hot bitumen would be best as it would set within an hour or so. However I don't have a pot and gas fire needed. You would need a professional roofer to come and do this - not cost effective.

2 Roof sealing bitument - runny type. I found this filled the crack very well but it was very messy and did not set for days !!

3 Lapping bitumen mastic used to join layers of roofing felt. This is a jelly like substance, easy to fill with a scraper and smooth off. Put sand over the filled joint for a couple of days befor brushing it off. This worked but I suggest you do a test section - just have to watch out it sets so it dosn't get under shoes or car tyres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back