Sealing Paint???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
not sure if its even possible, but i have freshly plastered walls in two of my rooms..

ive dilluted the paint as many say to do on these forums and given approx 4 coats of a cheap matt magnolia emulsion on the walls

my question is, whenever my child puts any slightly grubby hands on the wall i cant wash them clean as the paint comes off with it! the one room has been decorated for about 7 months so the layers of paint should be dry by now

is there any tricks or tips for resolving this? i had a mad idea that PVA'ing the walls after painting might provide a seal? could be well wide of the mark but does anyone have any ideas??

Sponsored Links
You've used a contract paint (little to no vinyl content) which chalks, re-paint with a vinyl matt or a durable matt

As its just a spare room I didn't want to spend too muh on the paint so I just bought a big tub of paint from a cheap shop like wilkinsons in large tubs..

Can I just paint over this with the vinyl / durable paint?

Sponsored Links
yes.

The purpose of the mist coat was to sink into the plaster and give a good undercoat, while leaving it reasonably smart until the plaster was dry enough for its final coat.

If you still have some of the original cheap paint left over, touch up any bare or damaged patches, diluted 10-20% with water, then preferably give the whole wal a coat of the unthinned cheap paint. After a day or more, give it a coat of Vinyl Silk which is much more durable.

The cheap matt emulsion will level up the colour, texture and absorbency of the wall so that you need less of the more expensive final paint.

A long as the paint is in a tightly-sealed plastic tub (wipe the rim of the tub and the lid clean with water, to remove any lumps that might interfere with the seal) and you protect it from frost, emulsion will last a long time - at least a couple of years. Stir it very well with a plastic spatula as the solids will sink to the bottom during storage. Fish out any hardened bits or strings.

Wilikinsons own paint (but not the Value range in the yellow tub) is not bad, and they may have offers on big-brands in a limited range of colours. Popular colours are usually cheapest.

it is OK to use a cheap matt emulsion for the mist (priming) and undercoat but it is not a durable finish, except on ceilings which are not subject to much wear.

p.s.
never never never put PVA on any surface that is going to br painted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back