Sealing toilet cistern inlet pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advise on how to seal the water inlet connection to a toilet cistern as I have a slight weep from the joint.

Whats happened is that I have replaced the syphon and also the float valve together with a new rubber donut for the close fitting cistern.

Everything has gone back together and is working but my issue is that I have a slight weep from the water inlet connection.

I have replaced the fibre washer in the connection with a new one and tightened the nut on the inlet as much as I dare, without stripping the plastic thread, but the weep persists.

There is something not right, so I'm thinking about either finding a thicker more compressible fibre washer, or trying some kind of jointing compound.

I've already tried PTFE tape but the access is poor and I cant get the tape to stay on whilst tightening the nut.

Ideally I would like to fit a flexible pipe but there is insufficient space, see pic below.

Any suggestions to get a proper seal welcome, I'm sure this is a simple fix for the professionals.

valve.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Over tightening them can stretch the thread and bugger the bottom where it sits on the fibre washer
They only just need nipping up.

I agree, plastic thread and brass nut is not a good combination. Once the plastic thread is stretched or cross threaded, your always going to struggle to get a seal. Don't mess around with it anymore, swap the fill valve for one with a brass shank. Several different ones available from plumbers merchants, Screwfix etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to get the Brass Shank fill valve which should be much stronger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back