Seasonal ELV outdoor plug/socket question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I go through this every year, and usually end up with bodges involving, amongst other things, plastic bags and elastic bands, small enclosures and silicone!

I have a number of sets of outdoor ELV (LED) 'Christmas' lights and ideally want to insert in-line plug/sockets in the ELV feeds to them. Does anyone know of any (ideally fairly small) 3-pin/5-pin in-line plugs/sockets suitable for modest currents at ELV (up to 36V) which have at least some useful degree of IP rating? I tend to end up using either connector blocks (hardly plug/socket!) or DIN/XLR connectors, plus some attempts to protect them from the weather, but that's hardly ideal! Although certainly not ideal, for 3-pin I have contemplated using something like ...
TLRC3.JPG

...but, although I will obviously be totally 'in control'of the arrangement, I am just slightly uneasy about using 'mains' connectors for ELV, for obvious reasons.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I am just slightly uneasy about using 'mains' connectors for ELV, for obvious reasons.
For what reasons John? Maybe I'm being thick today (it is Monday!) but those connectors look fine to me, if you use them the right way round.
It would of course be different if you were going to use ELV connectors at LV.

If you want a higher IP rating have a look at the M12 screw-locking connectors from Hirschmann or Brad-Harrison (Woodhead), but remember they only have that rating when used with a specific range of circular cables.

I am just slightly uneasy about using 'mains' connectors for ELV, for obvious reasons.
For what reasons John? Maybe I'm being thick today (it is Monday!) but those connectors look fine to me, if you use them the right way round. It would of course be different if you were going to use ELV connectors at LV.
As I said, with me 'in control', there really is no issue. However, if I were to vapourise, some subsequent idiot could theoretically come along and, seeing a nice set of lights with a male 'mains' plug on the end of them, plug them into a 230V source! Since I hope not to 'vapourise' for a good while, I may well end up going down that route - but it obviously doesn't help when 5 pins are needed.
If you want a higher IP rating have a look at the M12 screw-locking connectors from Hirschmann or Brad-Harrison (Woodhead),....
Thanks; I'll take a look.
...but remember they only have that rating when used with a specific range of circular cables.
That is, of course, an issue with virtually any 'solution' I may find, given the very small (and multiple) conductors I'm dealing with. Silicone is about the only attempt at a solution I can think of and, even then, I doubt that any connector would then function at its intended IP rating.

Kind Regards, John

some subsequent idiot could theoretically come along and, seeing a nice set of lights with a male 'mains' plug on the end of them, plug them into a 230V source!
Well, when you've finsished using them, take the plug off. Simples!
As long as you don't expire before the end of your outdoor display that is.

A waterproof warning sign attached to the plug might be an additional precaution.

Sponsored Links
Well, when you've finsished using them, take the plug off. Simples!
Indeed, but if I were going to do that, I guess I might just as well stick to connector blocks in vaguely 'weatherproof' boxes!
As long as you don't expire before the end of your outdoor display that is. A waterproof warning sign attached to the plug might be an additional precaution.
As I said, the theoretical 'risk' is probably really not worth thinking about. That obviously does not help me with 5-pin - but, if I'm going to accept the concept of using LV connectors, I suppose there is always:
GW415SLASH16SLASH5P.JPG
GW415SLASH16SLASH5C.JPG

hardly small, but ...!

Kind Regards, John

However, if I were to vapourise, some subsequent idiot could theoretically come along and, seeing a nice set of lights with a male 'mains' plug on the end of them, plug them into a 230V source!
At my last place, I just happened to be in the maintenance workshop speaking to one of the maintenance guys when a lass from the shop called in to ask if they had some "pliers or wire cutters" they could borrow. When asked what for, it was so they could cut some oddball plug off the christmas lights to fit a proper plug. This "oddball" plug was a 2 pin DIN plug (the ones used for some speakers) and was of course intended to plug into the ELV power brick that the lights originally came with :rolleyes:

And an alternative, I keep seeing adverts for "outdoor socket boxes" which (IIRC) typically show a 4 way extension strip in a box which has a rubber gasket to allow cables to enter. Would something like this on the outside of the house (with gasket at bottom) fit the bill ? You could either put the plug in PSUs in the box, or just use it to house the ELV connectors.

Have a look at the Bulgin Buccaneer 400 series. http://bulgin.co.uk/Products/Buccaneer/Buccaneer_400_Series.html

IP68 rated, smallish, and available in various configurations from 2 to 12
pin...

Or the Mini Buccaneer series for that matter http://bulgin.co.uk/Products/Buccaneer/Buccaneer.html[/QUOTE]
blank65x10t.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif

Subject to the usual caveat that they might have sold their soul to Fu Manchu, they've been going for decades, and have an excellent reputation for miniature and sub-miniature connectors.

[OT curiosity]Where is the boundary between miniature and sub-miniature?[/OT curiosity]

None yet.

It would only be of use for 2 days out of each year, and so far I've managed without for decades, so I might not bother. It's one of those things where for a period of 20-30 minutes, if that, you think "It would be nice if these lights were in two sections", and then it's done.

More importantly - can you tell me if last year I did buy some spare lamps online, or not? I can't remember.

... it was so they could cut some oddball plug off the christmas lights to fit a proper plug. This "oddball" plug was a 2 pin DIN plug (the ones used for some speakers) and was of course intended to plug into the ELV power brick that the lights originally came with :rolleyes:
I don't think I've seen an actual 2-pin DIN on Christmas lights, but the same sort of (maybe identical) pin layout (one flat 'pin' and one thin circular one) seems not to be uncommon for ELV connectors when they use them. I suspect that the real 2-pin DINs have never actually heard of IP ratings!
And an alternative, I keep seeing adverts for "outdoor socket boxes" which (IIRC) typically show a 4 way extension strip in a box which has a rubber gasket to allow cables to enter. Would something like this on the outside of the house (with gasket at bottom) fit the bill ? You could either put the plug in PSUs in the box, or just use it to house the ELV connectors.
That's not conceptually dissimilar to what I normally end up doing, but it's amazing how water appears to be able to defy gravity and get through slight imperfections of sealing on the bottom of enclosures!

Kind Regards, John

None yet. It would only be of use for 2 days out of each year, and so far I've managed without for decades, so I might not bother. It's one of those things where for a period of 20-30 minutes, if that, you think "It would be nice if these lights were in two sections", and then it's done.
Fair enough. It might well end up the same with me - despite this thread, and the valuable suggestions I've had (as well as my own, from last year!), I may well end up doing the same as I've done for decades :)
More importantly - can you tell me if last year I did buy some spare lamps online, or not? I can't remember.
Having just glanced at that thread again, ISTR that I noticed you reminding yourself to check to see if you had got the correct spare lamps/bulbs - so maybe you did!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back