Securing Mains Cable

Sponsored Links
I think Im going to go with the wall option.... puerly as it allows me to get that job out of the way before the stud wall. Will bang some insulation tape on the drill so not to go too deep.
It's not really the depth of the hole which is the issue. The important thing is the 'width' of the hole. If the plug is not a fairly tight fit in the hole, it will not 'grip' when expanded (slightly) by the nail.

Just use longer nails in the clips into the mortar.
That really depends upon the mortar.

In my house, in a similar fashion to the situation with the plaster, the walls have one of two types of mortar - one type is like concrete, at least as hard as brick and all-but-impossible to get any sort of nail into. The other type is like sand, and the only effect that using a longer nail would have in that would be to make more of the 'sand' fall out ;)

However, the OP might be lucky in having some sort of 'happy medium' mortar to deal with! However, as has been suggested, there are several other options available to him.

If the mortar is that soft then do it the old fashioned way of hammering in a piece of wood for the clip nails.

Sponsored Links
Yet another option .... although experiences vary a lot (and are often disappointing) some of the 'self-adhesive'cable clips do seem capable of sticking reasonably well to bricks.

When the result is 'disappointing' (clips fall off) a blob of Gripfill or similar often does the job.

In fact, sticking the cable directly to the wall is yet another option, although one has to be a little careful about what adhesive one used - I imagine that 'solvent-free' grab adhesives would be fairly safe with PVC cables I've done that in my time)

A plug of timber, hammered into the joint, then allows the nail clip to be used.
Digging out enough space for a timber plug and cutting one to size sounds like even more effort than drilling/plugging/screwing to the bricks was.

Digging out enough space for a timber plug and cutting one to size sounds like even more effort than drilling/plugging/screwing to the bricks was.
Very probably - although with the 'sand' variety of mortar, the 'digging out' only takes a few seconds.

If its quite a sizeable gap between plasterboard and brickwork then a few loops of all round band screwed and plugged to the wall is another solution

That's excellent. I didn't even know these existed!
As I've mentioned, the important thing about using them is that the hole one drills has to be small enough that the plug is a fairly tight fit - the nail is only able to expand the plug slightly, so that, if the plug is loose in the hole, it may well not expand enough to grip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back