Security light wired to a light switch in garage-is it live?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've just moved to a new house and it has two PIR lights, one for the back which goes into the garage via a normal plug and one at the front which has the wire coming from a light switch for the light in the garage.

The front light doesn't work so is being replaced.

Question is, will the new security light only work when the light switch in the garage is switched on or would it be wired to work like normal and operate when set off at night? Haven't had the chance to test so wouldn't have a clue.

If not, how would I wire it to make sure the light is always operational?

Sponsored Links
Question is, will the new security light only work when the light switch in the garage is switched on or would it be wired to work like normal and operate when set off at night?

The normal procedure would be not have a functional switch, that when left in the closed/on position allows the security light to operate as set for dusk till dawn and energised the desired time. Most offer an override facility that will allow you to turn the light on outside those settings and also when the switch is open/off this will then de-energise the light and remove the dusk till dawn and tmed settings.
Haven't had the chance to test so wouldn't have a clue.
Well you will require a two probe voltage tester and a meter to test for continuity, a multi-meter will serve both these functions.

If not, how would I wire it to make sure the light is always operational?
I would always offer a means of isolation, so would fit a switch or isolator, if you are concerned it may be accidentally turned off you could use a lockable switch or just a fuse connection (which will require a little more effort to remove the fuse, rather than just switching).

Thanks for the reply.

Worked great when the new light was wired to the existing wiring. So I have a switch that takes a wire from the lighting circuit, goes to the switch and then powers the on/off tube in the garage and has a permanent live for the security light.

Now I would like to replace the switch, any ideas what the light switch in the pic is called? I got a metal 1 gang, 2 way, 10 amp from Wickes but it has a live 1, live 2 and a common, it doesn't look the same as the back of the switch in the pic?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is as you have said, a one-gang, two-way switch.

How are the terminals of the present switch marked?

C, L1, L2 =
L, L1, L2 =
L1, L2, L3

It seems I have the 2 lives from the house and the security going into the common (middle terminal) and the live for the interior light going into the top terminal on its own, doesn't seem marked.

The new socket has a common terminal so I'm guessing i'll put two lives in there and then a L1 and L2 for the switch so i'll pop the live for the interior garage light in L1?

The normal procedure would be not have a functional switch....
Do I take it that you meant "...to have a functional switch..." (rather than "... not have...)??
I must have edited my post during composing it and seemed to have not proof read afterwards, as I was going to put it another way in text but change it.
Indeed again I was talking about the use of a functional switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back