Security lighting that works.

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a security light but when I got it home and read the instructions it advised that the light should not be placed where it could be activated by trees of bushes. The problem is that I want to set up security lighting at the end of my back garden and there are trees and bushes in it.
Is there a security light that can ignore trees and bushes and concentrate on the bodies of those making unlawful attempts to enter my property?

Sponsored Links
Break beam detectors are much better than PIR detectors.

There are break beams with the TX ( emitter end ) running on a couple of batteries with a claimed life of more than a year. I am evaluating an Elson FC330 beam ( www.sminn.com ) and that claim looks to be true.

Tested over 15 metres and found to be satisfactory.

Setting up a break beam sensor requires alignment which can be difficult over a long range but the lack of false triggers is well worth the extra effort.

I have to totally disagree with you there Bernard, gjd lighting has been evolving for years. At the start, 30/35 yrs ago it was not so good, but today, it's brilliant. Setting up correctly is most important, the paperwork that comes with each piece of equipment is very good, follow and you can't go wrong.

By the way, IR Beams are not that difficult to install, 15m a piece of p***, you want to try 50, 100 or 150m they can be 'interesting'.

Sponsored Links
I am not saying PIRs do not work, just that in some situations setting up a PIR to detect people while ignoring animals, swaying trees, passing cars etc. etc can give a few problems that a break beam system in the same environment would not give,

With practise aligning beams is easy though the very narrow beam units are not so easy..

Buy optex beams 1 they have a view finder and 2 a test point for your multimeter to fine tune the setting...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back