Security Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am interested in putting security lights around the house. If possible, I would like to wire it with individual pir\\\'s each PIR being able to trigger all the lights. Can someone email a wiring diagram or reply with an explanation.Do I spur it into an existing ring main 32 amp? or do I have to set up a seperate ring main from the fuse box. i believe that if I spur off a lighting circuit it will draw too much power? I will be using between 4 & 6 300w halogen lights. Thanks

Sponsored Links
You will need one run of cable for the PIRs, and one run of cable for the lights, both runs led back to a junction box.

The PIRs have pretty weedy contacts, so I would consider using a contactor to alleviate the large load on them and extend their lives, and since most PIRs have a maximum rating of 1000-2000 watts, this is also a nessecity if all PIRs will control all lights.

And you dont need any ring mains. Lighting isn't wired as ring mains.

I am going to advise you ask an electrician to do this work. It will require a new circuit and is outdoors, and as such, is notifiable to your local council, which your electrician will take care of. Outdoor electrics require special attention, due to their location. Electricity has no prejudices, it kills anyone.

Also consider your neighbours. Make sure your lights dont shine into their gardens, or over your fences, or onto roads etc. And ensure your PIRs are adjusted so people walking around next door's garden / along the pavement wont trigger your lights.

And one last thing. You may have up to 1800w of lights there. They may "just be lights", but they use a heck of a lot of power. Consider instead, a few "lantern" type lights with 20 watt energy saving lights in, on a timer. Or downsize the halogen lights to 150 watts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back