security screws

Sponsored Links
unbelievable, there 10 minutes from where i live and only 15 minutes from the actual job, so well worth a try.
Not easy to get for some reason

Oh yes, as long as the noise is limited, its more the sparks from a grinder they wouldnt be happy with as there will be commuters just outside the barriers
We could go in the yard if needbe, what you got in mind, punches sound expensive.

I dont initially want to spend a fortune, if I cannot get the right tool, im tempted to grind up a few cheap screwdrivers at home first, then pop to the station to see if one fits,

I did think about getting some cheap Nut spinner drivers or sockets around 6mm and 7mm wide and slicing them down to size, or as suggested a screwdriver with a wide enough blade, im quessing a 7mm wide blade with a 5 mm slot ground in will likely fit, that would give me two 1mm lugs at 6mm centres

Sponsored Links
Is there any possibility of the customer loaning you the screw driver needed for the security screws or telling you where to obtain one. They are after all security screws and suitable screw drivers may not be on general sale ( unlike the free available drivers for the majority of so called security screws)

[Note I was joking]Using a punch inserted into one of the holes and hammered at the right angle to drive the screw round.[/Note]
Not necessarily a joke. It sounds like the 'security' bolt/thingy that holds on a cover over the wheel nuts on my car. It has a flat top with four small holes. The (plastic with metal pins) tool provided for undoing it is nothing like man enough for the job when (as often happens) the fastener tightens up after a while. A hammer and punch, used as you describe, is the only way I've found to do it when they are tight - and I therefore now always carry such tools in the car!

Kind Regards, John

Indeed, and I've done the same sort of thing.

But doubt if Railtrack, or TFL, or whoever it is would be impressed by a contractor hammering at a security fixing to undo it...

I dont have a spare screw to make one and try so I really need to go prepared on the night. machine tools wontbe acceptable on site, so it will be old school handsaw and file
Circlip pliers, if the screws aren't recessed?

I know they don't work as described BAS, but perhaps two of the pins might turn a small screw? I've seen something similar used by an RAC mechanic (sorry, they like to be called 'technicians') to remove a locking wheelnut.

I know they don't work as described BAS, but perhaps two of the pins might turn a small screw? I've seen something similar used by an RAC mechanic (sorry, they like to be called 'technicians') to remove a locking wheelnut.
Are you talking about my wheel nut cover? I don't really know what you mean by "might turn a small screw". The things on my car are literally just machine screws with flat-topped round heads with four small holes drilled into them. When in place, the whole head is recessed into the cover, so one cannot get grips or suchlike onto the head.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back