Security shutter open/close keyswitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, have been asked to move position of a shutter key switch for a friend. Can anyway tell me how they come apart. Have taken the face plate screw out and the plate with writing comes off but the lock stays in the backplate.

Sponsored Links
If it's the one I'm thinking of, when you've removed the cover a small hole is exposed with a small allen headed bolt in which holds the barrel in position. Loosen this and you should be in.

Sponsored Links
Correct otherwise any Tom, Dick or Harry could be raising shutters without a key.

A hammer would get you in most places :confused:

I was talking about entry without destruction though.

do these shutter keyswitches have any kind of security built in, or would knocking the switch off the wall and fumbling with the wires get you in? I'd hope it wouldn't be that simple . . . :?:

do these shutter keyswitches have any kind of security built in, or would knocking the switch off the wall and fumbling with the wires get you in? I'd hope it wouldn't be that simple . . . :?:

No they dont, but as there 240v they would proberly short and blow the control fuse first,if bashed up.
3 wires LIVE, UP, and DOWN and earth
Usually a frame is welded round to protect it and sometimes even with a door and big padlock on.

External ones only should dismantle with the key.

The internal switches they make do not even need the key to dismantle.

Some companys go for remote control these days.

No they dont, but as there 240v they would proberly short and blow the control fuse first,if bashed up.
Well I thought this, but it appears that a store i used to work at was broken into with this method. They took a big hammer or crow bar to the keyswitch (and metal box around it AFAICT), and shorted the wires. :eek: This is all second hand info, from their duty manager so may not be accurate. Then they took the same hammer or crow bar to the glass panel auto doors.

If you could rip the entire switch off and access the wiring without damaging it, and you are proficient in working live then theoretically you could do that, but it would be quicker / easier just to ram raid the shutter.

Looking at the way they work, I think that a chain is weak to the frame, because this part is usually only two screws, screw the power is over, and the door part of the four screws and the sideways force.

Hey there Smaksmilie

What a pity Irene was only a TS when she passed you by. She should have been a Cat4 when she got to you last weekend and you could then have been blown onto Salt Island and never heard of again.

(Unless you are lying about your location as the USVI :rolleyes: )

I think someone got it right.
Once screws are removed, turn key and remove cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back