See thru mirrors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Ive had an idea which im looking in to but im having dificulty finding anything on the internet which is helpful. Im hoping you can help.

My idea involves my current re-decoration of my en-suite. I have a large walk in shower laid out like this: (apologies for the quick diagram)

Layout.GIF

Now what i want to do is, where the dashed line is, that is the glass wall and door into the shower, but i want to make it a see thru mirror, so that when you are in the shower you can see out but when you are out of the shower it just looks like a big mirror.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Ive got a few doubts in my mind about if this is going to be do-able due to the fact that the only see thru mirrors ive come across are perspex or its just a film that is applied to normal glass, which im told is difficult to apply without getting air bubbles between the film and the glass.

Has anyone got any experience with see thru mirrors and specifically in this application, or can direct me to someone who may be able to help.

Thanks

Marc

Sponsored Links
I have a very similar set up, albiet where yours is the shower, mine is a wardrobe(in a bedroom). We have a telly mounted behind it, when the telly is off it looks like a mirror, telly on and the picture is visible, through the two way mirror. It is made from proper glass, no sticky films or perspex, any good glass merchant will help you.

Please remember though that in wetter, slippier areas, toughened or even laminated glass is a must. Falling against ordinary glass just doesn't bear thinking about. Tell the merchant what you have in mind and ask their advice.

It sounds like a nice project though.

Sponsored Links
You will need Pilkington Surveillance Mirror and you need to consider your light ratio's before you waste your money on something that probably wont work for that application. It also can be fairly espensive to buy and you'll need the laminated safety version.

The light ratio required is 7:1 which means the non relfective side of the glass must be 7 times darker than the reflective side of the glass. If not then you will see throught it.
It works fine for doors on dark TV cabinets and wardrobes because they are dark inside but if there is a light source (ie - a television), you will see straight through it.

If you ever go to do an identity parade at a police station which uses this glass you will notice that the witness room is in complete darkness to enable the glass to work.

You need to take this factor into consideration before you buy. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back