Seeking help with latch that pushes open.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our toddler keeps pushing open the bathroom door - It's a standard doorknob/latch(bolt?) arrangement.

I've looked at it and examined it and fiddled with it, but the latch appears to eb straight, and fits into the strike plate well.

Nonetheless, a little bit of inwards pressure, and the latch retracts, and the door opens.

Can anyone suggest why this would be and if there's something I can adjust/check?

Thank you,
SC.

Sponsored Links
its not worn on the flat part is it?ie has a slight round to it.

its not worn on the flat part is it?ie has a slight round to it.

Hi Gregers,

There's no wear, and all of the angles line up - there's nothing evident to my untrained eye to explain why this is happening.

That's what makes it strange.

Sponsored Links
I've figured it out.

After taking a flashlight, and looking closely at alignment, I saw that the latch was only partially inserting into the strike olate. The small cyclinder that runs along its side was inserting into the strike plate, and making the "click", but the actual latch-bolt was remaining pushed into the door.

I moved the strike plate down 1/4 inch, and now the door closes completely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back