Self Build project

I'm new here & missed the start of this topic, been looking at your blog & can't make out the type of structure your aiming at.
What wll be your external finish? Is there a reason why you're building "stud" style walls with no wall plate or header on top.
It looks fairly substantial however, what type of insulation are you using?

Sponsored Links
no wall plates because he can't reach that high yet.. seriously, that's what he told me... he'll put them on when the scaffolding is put up..

if you go through the old blog posts, you'll find a rough sketch of the design.

Seems a rum way to throw up what is essentially a bit of studwork!
How did they get that through regs?

ask him not me.. ;)
I'd have done it the same way you probably would have.. made sections of wall on the nice flat and level concrete slab and then stood them up and screwed / nailed to the sole plate..
doubled up with the wall plate and overlapped the joins for added strength..
rent / buy a compressor and a framing nailer..
you could have all the walls up with 2-3 of you in a weekend..

Sponsored Links
I did a spec build last year in brick & block and it seems that the Building Inspector (about 25yrs old) had an unlimited supply of hoops which he regularly required me to jump through.
Sap rating my @rse!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back