Self-closing doors - do I need them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - am just looking for a quick bit of advice - I've recently moved into a 1st floor flat that was built around 2004. The building has 3 stories and I think under old regulations all the habitual room doors had to be self-closing. Therefore, all the doors have the chain-type, concealed self-closing mechanisms in the flat.

However, I think since 2007 it hasn't been necessary to have self-closing doors, and I would very much like to unscrew the chains from the door hinge/frame because the doors are quite annoying when they constantly close. I therefore have two questions if anyone knows - can I do this legally under the current regulations? And if I decide to make them self-closing again at some point in the future, how is this done given that once unscrewed, the chains will disappear into the door?

Any advice will be greatfully received.

Sponsored Links
Your property needs to remain in accordance with the b/regs in force when it was built.

The requirements for flats to have self closing doors was never changed - you are thinking of the changes relating to loft conversions in a single property.

By removing the self-closing device, you not only create a fire safety risk to your flat, but to the other flats in the block - and your insurers and the fire service/building control will take a very dim view of this if the worse ever happens

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back