self employment (Private or Contract work)

M.J

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started up by myself in january of this year,but work is coming in slow.i was told that the first 18 months would be very slow(with private work) and i should just stick it out as it will pay off in the long run.
Would like to hear some views from experienced plumbers and gas fitters.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear that :cry: I heard that one of the best value ads is in the good old Parish Mags :idea: Also heard that for some it`s still quiet after Christmas :cry:

Can you turn your hand to property maintenance as one of my mates (self employed plumber) is doing this just to buy a beer and a kebab. And yes it is slow :(

Probably not what you want to hear, but I said last year that 2007 would be a slump the likes of which has never been seen before, it will be directly linked with the HIP that president Bliar and Brown nose is forcing on us.

New labours luck has finally run out, and the sooner the control freak gets out the better.

Dig in and hope for the best is my advise

Sponsored Links
On the contrary I get more calls because of Blair's reforms, don't like all their controls but people are using me because they know the work will be notified because of the image of the business.

If you take out big phone book ads you present an image of a serious business. If you go in the local rag you can join the fly by nights, you might no tbe one, but that is where they get work.

In the work itself work very hard to do an excellent job and you will be inundated with repeats and recommends.

Cultivate some regular customers for whom nothing is too much trouble and they will always turn to you. I always come across people who have had a usual plumber who has retired died or not bothered with them.

Once you start geting recommended by builders and other tradesmen watch out it then goes balistic. I'm at the balistic stage.

Paul Barker said:
If you take out big phone book ads you present an image of a serious business. If you go in the local rag you can join the fly by nights, you might no tbe one, but that is where they get work.

The rest of this post was quite plausable, this part is is not!!

It seems you have believed all the hype about plumbers earning fortunes.

Place an ad showing thet your plumbing rates are £15 per hour and I am sure that you will find plenty of work.

Thats still 50% above the rates the East European plumbers expect

Tony

For what it`s worth :rolleyes: Maybe prostitute yourself and offer skilled help to the DIY`ers who get stuck ...........make a table of charges and don`t leave their home without it....CASH that is ;)

There is nothing wrong with sorting out problems when a DIYer has got out of their depth.

We used to get called quite a lot but always by the wife and the husband was confined to the bedroom until we had finished.

Most amusing was a pregnant woman about to give birth who had a gas leak. When I got there the husband had drilled a lot of little holes in the floor but had not noticed the gas leaking until he drilled through a water pipe. With a couple of inches of water on the floor he could then see the gas leaking from the bubbles.

Tony

MJ what are your skills. You are welcome to do one of my jobs on price which is full plumbing and heating for a new build plus move boiler and additional rads in house next to it job is in Whitby, I could arrange lodgings, you'd have to do a couple of days with me to prove ability. Just one of many such jobs that all come at the wrong time. On above one main builders did nothing for ages and suddenly they are screaming for me, typical, and of course it's right when I'm knee deep in three such jobs..

deepest sympathies as i'm in the same situation. quit teaching after ten years (spent most of my teens and student teaching hols workin with a plumber) after 10 years teaching 3 of em on 80mg of prozac aday! decided.... time ferra change.
Have you got all round skills??? What paul b said is very sound.
If you get work for developers and get in with other trades...(providing you do a good job at the right price) you WILL get recommendations. make a point of leaving half a dozen business cards with customers and labour the point " You know, I've only just started up. Please feel free to recommend me but please, please, please, dont tell you friends, colleagues, realations how much I charged you. I'm building a client base not running a charity :D :D :D "
Offer to work with other plumbers /ch engineers at an initial day rate for labour. You might learn a bit more and if you prove your competence with them they will throw out work for you.
I started out advertising in local rags initially and now I dont bother. It is slow so sod the kebabs n beer brew ur own and eat beans!!!! oooooooooooh do I smell a gas leak. More tea matron!!!???

good luck!!! :D

Hi Loafer, you and I are similar I never went on any antidepressants but came straight to this from nursing.

Back on topic.

Original question, once you've established your skill you have to become economic at using it, this takes time, effort and a little gambling here and there. You have to stretch yourself to jobs that you aren't comfortable about doing. These jobs will breed more jobs the same like a magnet, behind your back one guy will show another guy your work and you won't be able to stop them pestering you to come and do their job now. But you have to get out of your comfort zone.

You cannot make a living fiddling about with two float valves a week, changeing a diaphragm a month, fixing a leaking radiator a fortnight. You have to take on the bigger jobs and do them with pride in your work to a higher level of skill than the big firms (not difficult). I have come across a few dodgy situations and one at risks left behind by a well known local firm it's embarrasing. All I can say is they must have at least one rotten apple in their organisation. I kept meaning to have a word with the bosses son who I'm on speaking terms with, but it's passed now. The point is that you can take customers off these guys all you have to do is get the job right at a fair price, but most importantly get it right.

Take great pride in your work. There's that famous quote how does it go? "the world will beat a path to your door".

This is why I try to only fit boilers that I believe in as both value for money but also soundly engineered. Other guys make maybe £300 more money (per combiswap) fitting unknown brands. I come across their customers 3 years down the line when the manufacturer has gone bust and you can't get a part for the boiler. OK that's an extreme case but it is a true one, but what really gets my goat is the fitter was a former school friend of her son , sold it at such a price you could have fitted a Veissman and still made £300 for a days work. 3 years down the line this poor family who trusted an old friend are still without heating, and only have hot water because I gave them a 15 litre under sink water heater I took out of another job. They cannot offord even a Biasi from bnq. The point being people are still getting ripped off, there is plenty of scope for an honest person to apply their skill and look beyond the payment for one job.

Next step is to think about using a powerflush. The guy I trained with never had one and hadn't used one. I heard they were a good thing so bought one out of my very meagre resources at the time I was like you. I had no idea how to use it, so I asked everyone, surprising how few well established businesses round here don't use one. After I recon I;d gleaned enough from folk I started doing it for free as part of a conbi swap. At first I powerflushed system, then took every rad off outside powerflushed it until it was clean as a whistle, put them all back and powerflushed again. OK I was nervous and learning. This took two men a very long day. Houses in Scarborough are large with many large rads, and many floors to cart them outside. Use a good chemical, I use FX2.

I have got better and quicker at it now, and have the confidence to charge a little now. But I wouldn't do a boiler change without powerflushing any more.

It's a lot of effort to get a business to where you wish the phone would stop ringing.

Skill is the big shortage. There is a constant stream of blokes who think they can jump on the bandwaggon, but hardly any with skill. You come across the bandwaggoners on evey building site, moaniong and groaning about life, rolling fags instead of getting on with the job, just get your job done and get out of there, they are infectious.

Paul, do you fancy coming in with me on a large housing development in the scarborough area? First and second fix on two/three bedroom houses, bathroom and ch?
don't have full details yet, but it is not daily travelling distance for me, so it would mean me lodging up there.

And don't neglect to fit magnetic filters after you've powerflush'd because they will still capture plenty of magnetight. We have to live with boilers that can't tolerate what was previously acceptable condition of heating water. Deal with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back