Self-harm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your advice please:

I know a young woman (21) who has 3 year old daughter. The woman self-harms, but she refuses to seek help. Should I ring her doctor's surgery to let them know? Is this appropiate? Is it intefering?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
Your advice please:

I know a young woman (21) who has 3 year old daughter. The woman self-harms, but she refuses to seek help. Should I ring her doctor's surgery to let them know? Is this appropiate? Is it intefering?

Thank you.

If the child is at risk then contact the doctor. Better to risk some embarrassment than a child's welfare.

I agree totally and would remove the word "IF"......regarding the child.....Maybe the NSPCC would be a better first contact for you.......anonimity etc.

How bad is the self harm, is it serious or just symbolic. The childs not necessarily at risk because the mother is hurting herself

If you seriously think the childs at risk do something for the sake of your own sanity. If the child gets hurt and you did nothing you will find it very hard to live with. Phone Social Services anonymously and or the GP

Sponsored Links
Self harming doesn't mean she's a bad mother. I wouldn't interfere without good reason.

joe

Although the child is not at risk from the knives the mother carries around to hurt herself with, the depression is so bad the house is a state (no cleaning done at all for months), the child is not bathed or brushed and is left to fend for herself. The child has left the house on her own to wander the streets because the mother has been asleep/in bed till 3pm on more than one occasion. Mixed up with this is excessive use of cannabis.

The self-harm has consisted of a stanley knife and drawing blood on her wrists, discussions of the best/worst/most/least-effective way to do it and doing it in front of people.

When she saw me with a stanley knife (cus of DIY) she had to leave because of the knife, yet other occasions she has asked me to watch her cut herself.

Thank you for your comments. Others please comment if you see fit.

Any of you lived through it ........ :?: ...I know what I`m talking about.

She sounds as though she has real problems which the child is being brought up with and living with on a regular basis. This must appear as normal behaviour to the child, if it keeps happening and could lead to her having major problems as she is growing up. I think you must think of the child here and pass it on, for her sake as well as your own peace of mind.
Self harming is in itself a cry for help.

Act now, this is not normal behaviour. She may need to be sectioned for her own good. Extensive and prolonged use of cannabis can lead to paranoia. She definitely needs help, she's not going to get out of this on her own.

Cannabis :?: ........how about Puerperal Psychosis

notb, the very fact that you have asked here and not just ignored and dismissed what is going on, shows that you know there is cause for concern here.

You are an adult and can make your own choices but this very young child cannot.
I feel for you very much, it is very hard to stand up and be counted with issues like this but you now that you know what is happening, you have been put in a position where to do nothing (though initially easier for you) would be the wrong decision to make and I feel that you would regert not getting help for this girl and ger child.

These days, everywhere you turn, people and agencies say things like nothing can be done if you dont leave your details.

This is not so with child issues.

The mum may well be very scared that she will lose her child if anyone 'official' finds out.

This would be a last resort.

There are agencies that can help her, or at least help her to cope with her child while she fights her own battle with depression.

People have mentioned how self harm does not have to mean that she is a bad mother and I agree entirely but in this case, you have mentioned situations where the child has been at risk.

Please notb, do tell someone so that both the girl and her child can be helped to cope better.

Any information that shows that a child might be at serious risk must be acted on by agencies, it cant be ignored but you do not have to give details.

If you feel able to pass on this information then other people can step in and help.
If this is a friend or family, it can be very difficult to 'intervene' or to be seen to be pointing the finger or prying, etc.

The people who can help do not have to shoulder the responsibilty of perhaps being seen to betray a friend, as people sometimes wrongly but understandibly feel.

People who care and can provide help shoulder the burden of prying, delving, asking awkward personal questions etc because they are looking to find out if there is a problem.... they are not looking to win friends and if people get offended by welfare checks being made then they deal with that.
It is better being safe than sorry.

long winded reply notb but I dont apologise.
Its hard for you and if it was just the girl, then my personal advice would be different.

It is a totally different different ball game with the child.

I hate the term 'just crying out for help' but your friend sure sounds like she needs support and help and someone believing in her.
Be reassured that there are people who want to help.

Im not saying it is easy notb... but if you look at it as helping and not making trouble then maybe it will help?
For what it is worth (and only because of the child) I think you do something.

(I am assuming that you are not able to discuss it directly with the girl and encourage her to seek help before you do)

is it too late to edit??? notb... I meant to say at the beginning the fact that you have NOT ignored... sorry.

inform on the situation asap

you never can tell how people who are depressed will act

and if the living conditions are that bad then the kids would be better off in a safer cleaner home

Yup, you've got to inform for the childs sake. I've worked at peoples houses where I've thought things were not right with regards the children & wondered whether to report. It's difficult to know if you're making things worse, but I doubt it would, so follow your instincts & contact someone.

notb665
Christ .....
are you such a pathetic wretch you need to air here ????s...Get on the phone to social services/childline NOW its anonymous ...

the sad upset mum will be helped ,
child taken in temp loving care ,
when shes sound she will be given access an the child back ...

otherwise now mum gets pi**ed , off her head an decides to end it all maybe as we write , cuts toddlers throat , will take 4 mins in SCREAMING/TORTUROUS agony to die , mum has a go across the wrists , wakes up next to baby dead ..( by the way slitting wrists , length wise if you want a quick 2 min bleed out,dead )
the child could be dead now an it would be all YOUR FAULT !!!
live with that !!
I cannot believe this Fred ... :( :( :(... angry .. very angry

I hope this is a jokey post .. :( :( :(

Sponsored Links
Back