SELV to supply Shower Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I once had an Electric Shower Pump in the bathroom on a SELV unit. That pump was removed some time ago.

Now I plan to fit a pump such as the Monsoon or Salamander.

Instead of fitting a FCU would it be Okay to connect the pump to the SELV ?

Thank you for all replies/advice.

Sponsored Links
SELV - Separated Extra Low Voltage - is <50V AC, or <120V DC, so not if the pump requires 230V AC.

Or yes if it is an ELV pump of the same voltage as the previous one.

Using the ELV supply you have is not an alternative to using an FCU - either you buy an ELV pump or you buy a 230V one, and what you buy will dictate how you supply it. Whatever you buy, once you have it, there will be no alternatives to how it's supplied.

Thank you to all.

I will get rid of the SELV and use FCU.

Sponsored Links
I expect that the pump will require the circuit supplying the pump to be protected by a 30mA RCD. IS it?

If not, you may need an FCU with RCD functionality. Something like this

Well if that is the case, then in the name of all that is IQ-bigger-than-shoe-size, WOE did the OP ask "Instead of fitting a FCU would it be Okay to connect the pump to the SELV ?"
:mad::mad::mad:

Well if that is the case, then in the name of all that is IQ-bigger-than-shoe-size, WOE did the OP ask "Instead of fitting a FCU would it be Okay to connect the pump to the SELV ?"
:mad::mad::mad:

That'd most likely be because he didn't, at that time, understand what SELV was.

And this supply has nothing on it showing what its output voltage is, I suppose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back