sentinel X400

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Last winter my old potterton netaheat developed some popping sounds when fired up. Reading through treads here I decided to add some sentinel X400 and left it for 4 weeks then drained, flushed and refilled adding sentinel X100.
The popping noise has now returned, and my question is will it do any harm to the system to add sentinel X400, (I just did yesterday) and leave it in longer or indefinatly?

Thanks.

pixey

Sponsored Links
I dont know what your "popping noise" is.

X400 should be left in for 4-6 weeks but then taken out.

Its possible you have kettling. If so you need X200 which can be left in the system.

Tony

From the other posts I have read it does sound like kettling, I was just wondering what the effects of leaving sentinel X400 in the system for much longer than that.

pixey

After about 4 weeks the X400 will probably have stopped working.

Theres only one proper way to stop kettling, change the heat exchanger or the boiler :eek:

What you describe is why I never take on noisey boiler jobs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, the funny thing is that after only 24 hrs there is not a sound from the boiler.
I will still leave it in there for some time, I was wondering if it could do any damage if left in too long.

pixey

If you are a professional you could treat the HE with sulphamic acid but I would not recommend that for a DIYer.

Many DIYers find that X200 is quite successful and it can be left in the system.

X400 has little effect on lime scale.

Tony

its not worth adding anymore inhibitor into a boiler over 20 years old, your just waisting time and money it wont do a lot, best to save up and replace boiler,,however a kettling boiler sounds a bit different than popping, i would get it serviced by a corgi engineer just to check..

X400 loosens the sludge, but it is just circulating in the water. Maybe you had some hardened in the boiler which has been loosened.

If you can afford a Magnaclean, you will be surprised and delighted at the way it attracts and traps all the black particles, thus taking them out of circulation even before you drain and rinse.

I always understood X400 had to be drained and rinsed out after a few weeks, but I see from the latest Sentinel page that "There is no limit to the time for which the product can safely be left in the system"

http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/en/heating/X400/application

I am just a householder.

As Agile says x200 will get rid of most noises my old flamingo used to sound lke someone hitting it with a hammer bottle of x200 and you couldn`t hear a thing. Make sure you get it into the system though and don`t just pour into heade tank

your waisting money adding inhibitor to an old boiler just replace it or put up with noise.

x200 is not inhibitor £12 for x2oo £2000 plus for new boiler know what i would go for

ok 200 is different from 100 but still wasting money adding anything to a boiler thats over 20 years old,, it wont last long ..pointless, why advise anything else

JohnD said:
I always understood X400 had to be drained and rinsed out after a few weeks, but I see from the latest Sentinel page that "There is no limit to the time for which the product can safely be left in the system"

I am just a householder.

I think they have been a little economical with the truth there!

They have correctly said that it can safely be left in the system. All they mean is that it will not damage the system!

It needs to be drained from the system because it loosens the sludge and that suspended sludge has to be removed form the system.

Tony

Because it aint your money plenty of boilers out there well over twenty years old and working perfectly well

namsag said:
x200 is not inhibitor £12 for x2oo £2000 plus for new boiler know what i would go for

x200 every year still wont make much difference, sooner or later it a new boiler, its just a matter of time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back