Separatist movements

Southall; have you ever been there on a Sunday?

Slough's an odd one, I think it actually landed from outer space.

When I was in Fuerta Ventura I waited a whole day for this shop to receive it's delivery of sunshine vests with "Fuerta Ventura" printed on them, they were made in China.

Sponsored Links
planenut said:
Southall; have you ever been there on a Sunday?

My father used to work in Southall, first time I went in with him I was sat in the car at some lights thinking "There's definitely something different here, I can't quite put my finger on it..." I totally didn't realise it for a couple of minutes until I saw an old guy with a kirpan :LOL:

Apparently Yorkshire does have it's own individual car sticker, it's labelled "mardy" ........ before anyone complains, I was born in Leeds. ;)

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Don't follow?

Southall has probably the largest number of Sikhs outside of Asia, if I recall my figures the population of Southall is 95-98% Sikh.

I mentioned the kirpan... it is a small ceremonial dagger (one of the 5 K's... I think it is 5) that demonstrates that you are a Sikh.

You wouldn't normally see a Sikh carrying a kirpan in the UK outside of Southall, it is quite a different place in many ways!

My parents were making their way to my home once, in the seventies. Driving through Southall ( which is just north/east of Heathrow ),the exhaust of the car lost a bracket and was dragging on the ground. Dad was unable to fix it and he went into a nearby pub - he had never experienced it before, but you can imagine the scene - "baddie enters saloon through swing doors and the music stops, everybody present looks at him" - well he was the only white man; then after explaining his predicament two Indian guys with turbans on came out, got under the car, fixed it, then gave him the directions to get to mine.
What was it about judging a book........?

AdamW said:
securespark said:
Don't follow?

Southall has probably the largest number of Sikhs outside of Asia, if I recall my figures the population of Southall is 95-98% Sikh.

I mentioned the kirpan... it is a small ceremonial dagger (one of the 5 K's... I think it is 5) that demonstrates that you are a Sikh.

You wouldn't normally see a Sikh carrying a kirpan in the UK outside of Southall, it is quite a different place in many ways!
Didn't the Kinks write a song about them?

My knowledge of 60s music is limited mainly to hit singles (apart from the ubiquitous Beatles, Beach Boys and JHE). The only song I can think of involving Sikhs is "Sit with Guru" by Strawberry Alarm Clock but I can't remember a reference to daggers in that!

Can anyone shed some light on this Kinks song?

No No No it's the one that goes, "They Sikh him here, they Sikh him there...."

Sponsored Links
Back