seperate circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just had my daughters bedroom extended and although I have all the relevant paperwork issued by the relevant bodies I can't understand how the following can be safe and acceptable.
The old part of the bedroom is on the old board whilst the new part of the bedroom is on the new i.e when I switch off the power at the main board, the new sockets and lights are still on .I have to switch the new one off as well. would appreciate your comments on this.

Sponsored Links
I would expect this departure to identified so no-one working on the installation is left in any doubt that power to that room is on two separate boards. maybe marking the sockets from one board as DB1 and the others as DB2 would surfice, but I am no lover of labels, they drop off.

Hi DennisLS....

Sorry to be so late but I have only joined the forum in the last few minutes......perhaps I should test the water first but a question re your installation is nagging me...on your mains backboard adjacent to your meter is an old MEM box (Switch Fuse) which does not appear to have any main Earth connections.......?.........or have I missed it ?

Regarding your query....yes, agree with Qedelec, and tie a warning plate to relevant cu`s but the sparks should really have rearranged the wiring as good practice....

[Hello again Dennis LS...

When you received your Certification, did the sparks make any reference to you at all regarding your Mains set - up ? I think it would take a closer professional look....sorry mate....but that is my qualified opinion...and I want to see you looked after if you have paid good money out...

Sponsored Links
Ideally when you have two or more boards, you'd have a separate single point of isolation, although the regulation in question can be inpretted in different ways and not all interpreations require it (depends if you class each boards as a separate installation or not...)

Anyway, I'd probably be more worried by the fact that I can see what looks like a DIY TNCS conversion :eek:

Adam_151 said:
Ideally when you have two or more boards, you'd have a separate single point of isolation, although the regulation in question can be inpretted in different ways and not all interpreations require it (depends if you class each boards as a separate installation or not...)

Anyway, I'd probably be more worried by the fact that I can see what looks like a DIY TNCS conversion :eek:

Doesn't look like to TN-C-S to me! Looks very much like a TN-S.

They have used green singles for tails to the old MEM sw fuse though!

Different circuits from differentboards, weather or not in the same room is not IMO a huge problem. I would have recommended to sort the mains out though.

Thanks for your responses, but ( and excuse my ignorance)what does TN-C-S mean? I think I'll bring in an elctrician to sort it.

Adam-151 wrote "Anyway, I'd probably be more worried by the fact that I can see what looks like a DIY TNCS conversion"

Could you expand on this for me Adam-151. there's been no diy activity in that area, not by me and I've lived here for fifteen years.

IT is not a DIY TN-C-S conversion. Adam is mistaken I believe.

The mains could do with sorting though.

Lectrician said:
Adam_151 said:

Doesn't look like to TN-C-S to me! Looks very much like a TN-S.

When I first looked at it quickly, I thought I could see some green cable entering a DP service connector block... now I look closely, it looks like there are two and they have blue and brown tape on the ends and they don't actually seem to go to the MET, so I assume its either some very thin tails that are looking supprisging green, or someone has used anything they can get their hands on as tails!

TNS sheath connection is also apparent now I look properly :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back