septic tank puzzle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a brick built septic tank about 20 metres from the house with the usual broken clay pipe that I supose was the vent. There is a stench pipe on the house. The house is 110 years old so I guess the tank is the same age. Can i fit a short length of pipe with an air admittance valve to the vent as its in the middle of the garden?

Sponsored Links
I think that they were expected to be open to the atmosphere! They probably let air OUT when water is flowing into the chamber.

Others from the country will advise though.

Tony

The vent pipe on the old tanks was to let the septic tank gases out, not to allow air in, so an air admittance valve would be defeating the object.

Septic tanks produce methane and hydrogen sulphide gases which must be relaesed to the atmosphere. They do smell, but in the old days, no-one cared too much.

Modern septic tanks have vents that do let air in, rather than out, but in all cases, the soil vent pipe, or stench pipe, must be within 10 metres of the septic tank on the drain run. If it is, then the SVP acts as a chimney and draws the air into the tank through the tank vent, through the tank and up thrugh the SVP, releasing the gases where it doesn't matter.

If your existing SVP is too far away to draw, you could always install another one within 10 metres, if you have a handy building to support it.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies, computers been broken! I will try and get another pipe located nearer the tank :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back