Service engineer & power flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sister-in-law had her 20 year old system serviced by British Gas last week. "The large radiator in the kids bedroom has always been very cool in winter - thus not heating the room adequately" she told the guy.

1. "There's nothing I can do for you - it's such an old system" he said. See if you can get someone to take the rad off the wall and flush it outside in the garden with a hose.

2. I could do a power flush at a cost of £400 - but it may damage your system.

3. "Your best bet would be to buy an ELECTRIC heater for winter".

What would you guys recommend? I'll have time in a couple of weeks to take the rad off the wall and flush it as in option 1 - but would draining the whole system and putting in fresh corrosion inhibitor be any good?

Regards

Homer

Sponsored Links
set your programer to heating only, and close all the radiators off apart from the offending rad. make sure both radiator valves are open, and it should circulate if its not blocked. British gas must love their fitters recomending electrical appliances. ;)

Nice to hear a BG engineer recommending a cost saving solution.

A little rebalancing may help. Turn down the valves on the hottest two or three rads and that will encourage flow into the problem radiator.

Taking it off and flushing it out may help IF its sludge blocking it. Might be the valves stuck or just balancing required.

Tony Glazier

Thanks for the replies, I'll give them a go in the next couple of weeks - I've got my own house move to contend with on Thursday :LOL:

Yes, it was nice to see the helpful BG salesman suggest going electric :eek: - talk about being evenhanded :)

Regards

Homer

Sponsored Links
Funny that, I spent the day with an ex BG guy who was the man they sent to make a flu work which nobody else could make work, BG would pay any price to make that flu safe (Including fan/interlock as last resort) because they wanted to sell the gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back