Services into building

Inside the steel pipe is a yellow pe gas service,the steel pipe is acting as a sleeve to protect the pe pipe. All your builder needs to do is to ask their gas fitter :) (who needs to be qualified to work on gas meters) to fit a gas meter bracket,screwed to the wall in a convenient position. Suitable outlet union,security screws,washers etc will be required. cost of bracket and associated fittings not more than a tenner.(y)

Sponsored Links
John D v2.0 The service head adaptor is also a transition pe-iron fitting. The two 1/4 inch bsp plugs are to do with pe insertion.
Cavester As the concrete is a new event,a plastic duct would have been advisable. Otherwise before covering the pipe a visual risk assessment carried out to check the steel pipe is complete,not rusted away and suitable for use as a pe sleeve. There are 1000's of situations where pe pipe is inserted into existing steel service pipes in solid floors,i wouldn't worry.

Sponsored Links
Ah! So this is how it works...

Feel more comfortable with that now. The pipe is lagged in a thick black hard material, not sure what it's called sorry, but assume to protect the steel pipe. Looked in good condition when I looked at it.

Thanks very much.

One last question... If the builder has offered to cut the concrete out around the pipe out and sleeve it, would you let him do it or just leave it as it is now?

Many thanks.

The service head adaptor is also a transition pe-iron fitting. The two 1/4 inch bsp plugs are to do with pe insertion.
aha got it, and the plugs are for injecting the grout into the space between the old and new pipes.
didn't realise we had a PE pipe, I can stop worrying about gas leaks from the rusty old pipe then!

The Wask service head adaptor is one of many designs. GF are more robust (y)

The pipe is lagged in a thick black hard material,
That could be something like an ancient denso or bitumen coating,that helps to prevent corrosion (y).For the builder to cut out the concrete its possible the gas pipe could accidentally get damaged,leave it as it is :).

Dont forget to get the meter screwed to the wall with a meter bracket,then it will all look :cautious: professional.

It's my understanding that you can not build over a gas service - no question. Hence......

Gas - usually the builder leaves the gas where it is, builds up the external walls and builds-in an external gas meter box on the line where the gas enters the building. The gas company then dig down and locate the service and install the meter into the new box. This is usually done once the joists etc are in place so that the domestic supply can be re-routed and hidden if needs be.

You need to heed the above.

The op is not building over the gas service pipe :)
What exactly is that floor made from. Chocolate?

@ the OP...
You must not build over a gas service and this trumps all other points at this time. Your builders need to make provision for a gas meter box at the point where the service passes into the building.

Last edited:
What exactly is that floor made from. Chocolate?
Its obvious from the photos chocolate has not been used :idea:. Part of the gas service sleeve is encased in concrete,effectively making it a solid floor.

It's my understanding that you can not build over a gas service - no question. Hence......

You need to heed the above.

The op has not mentioned they are building a wall over the decommissioned gas service pipe,your cut & paste quote from an unknown source has no relevance to the ops query.You can edit out your misleading quote.
There are set down procedures in place for protection of gas utility equipment whilst building works are in progress,the service is not the property of the householder.
Advice is available from the gas transporter,free advice :).

The op has not mentioned they are building a wall over the decommissioned gas service pipe
There is now a concrete floor built over the pipe. The service is no longer accessible. The OP needs to do as I suggested if they intend using the service.

Since when was it decommissioned? Why are you writing unsafe misleading posts?

noseall please only give advice on utility issues in which you are actually qualified :idea:

Not getting into an argument with you as your previous cut & paste input is very incorrect for this thread.

Bye bye troll and welcome to the ignore list,anything you post now will be ignored and i suggest any diy readers to do the same and never employ an unqualified but armchair experienced utility spokesman.

edit

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back