"Servicing" an old central heating system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya again

I have an old house with an old central heating system. It has a gas fired back boiler which is still going strong and I don't want to get rid of it.

However, the radiators don't get warm enough and to be honest, they've not been bled or serviced for a veeerrrrry long time.

I must confess that I havent got a clue about how to maintain radiators - is it realistic to get someone to service them? And, if they did, what would this involve?

I do think that they need flushing and bleeding (they suffer from the whole partial cold thing and some are boiling hot some are luke warm)

I was looking to sell the house but its not budging - so will have to rent it out for a while - money is quite tight so I can't afford a whole new boiler system and radiators etc.

Am hoping a service would give me a workable system for a while longer?

Am I being realistic?

P
x

Sponsored Links
Hi,first get the boiler serviced to ensure your safety.
i will post further info tomorrow,have to go clubbing now.yes its an over 50.s nite.

Sponsored Links
Derby & Jones Club?

At least the OP will need to get a gas safety certificate before she lets the property.

( As well as a energy performance certificate and an electrical certificate! )

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I've got 2 houses - one I've been trying to sell and now have to rent out, which has then allowed me to buy my new house back in my home town (which I need to wash clothes in!).

If anyone has any advice for the whole washer being miles away from an external drain, please, please let me know as its given me a sleepless night! I've had so much trouble with the house that Im selling that I just really want my new house to be my dream home ... I might be a bit drama, but one of the reasons you have a utility room is to do the laundry away from the kitchen, right? Bloody water drains :(

Cheers all :)

P
x

Eh? I thought this topic was about a heating system.

EDIT: Just seen your other topic.

I am very surprised that you say that you cannot sell your house.

At auctions houses rarely dont sell. In fact I would say that every house will sell at an auction.

The conclusion that I come to is that you want a higher price than the market price of the house.

Waste pipes can run virtually for any distance. The only limitations is that there must be a fall ( slope ) of 1 : 40

Tony

i will post further info tomorrow,have to go clubbing now.yes its an over 50.s nite.

I remember going to them 20 years ago, we called them 'grab a granny' the fun we had..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: or D and D, as the women were there because they were divorced or their husbands were dead.

Andy (aka Marcus, or whatever name Dorren from 'birds of a feathers' toyboy was from that weeks espiode.)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back