Very Noisy Central Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My problem is that when my gas central heating kicks in there is a very loud banging for up to 5 minutes. Once the system has warmed up the banging stops. This happens when it comes on via the timer or when the temperature drops and the system starts the heating process. :confused:

Could this be a boiler problem (it is quite old), or something else? I have bled all the radiators twice.

Sponsored Links
The lads will want to know what boiler you've have? Where about are you hearing the banging noise?

The boiler is a Myson Apollo. The banging is very loud (it sounds like someone hitting the pipes with a hammer), but loudest in the boiler & the pipes above it which go to the airing cupboard.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Sponsored Links
It's about 14 years old but has always been maintained.

You could try some boiler silencing chemical to start with. This will take a couple of weeks to work. The system may need flushing before next winter.

Thanks oilman for the help and speedy reply. I will try what you advised and report back with the result. Thanks again

Hi bradleybear, could you explain the mechanism for the pump to operate like this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back