servicing woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

im due to have my boiler (glow worm hx 15) serviced again, as the last engineer did nothing.

according to the manual the engineer should check the reading from the combustion check port, inside the boiler. everytime time bg come around to do a service they have every answer under the sun, as to why they do not need to take this reading. they only check the reading from the flue, because its quick.

does anyone have any technical advise i can throw at them, to make them check from the port inside? they always throw techno bable at me, too not do it.

last guy came with just 1 screw driver!

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advice?

Simple: don't use British Gas or any other gas supplier.

British Gas only do a safety check on the flue gases. If they are within limits then thats ALL they do.

I am not quite sure what concerns you but I suspect that have read the manufacturer's instructions for flue gas analysis which will assume you want to do it from in front of the boiler. It may surprise you but the flue gases have the same composition at that test point and at the flue outside ! So where they have tested is fine!

In my view thats not all thats required. The boiler needs a an internal visual inspection and if a combi then the hot water performance needs checking.

Only a manufacturers engineer or an independent is likely to do the job properly.

If you want a cheap cursory flue gas check then stay with British Gas. If you want it done properly then get an independent!

Tony

British Gas only do a safety check on the flue gases. If they are within limits then thats ALL they do.
To be fair to BG that's what they say -

Gas pressure check to ensure the boiler is operating at the correct gas pressure
A flue test to ensure there are no unsafe emissions from your boiler
Inspect your boiler and controls to make sure they are operating safely
Leave a HomeCare® checklist with you with information about boiler safety
Visually inspect the boiler to check for corrosion and leaks

I wonder what would happen if a garage said that a car service consisted of the following?

Start the engine to make sure it didn't smoke;
Kick the tyres to make sure they weren't flat;
Turn on the lights to make sure they worked;
Look for signs of rust in the body work.

Check belts and hoses under the bonnet? Sorry guv, that'll cost extra.
Inspect the plugs? That's not included either.
Raise the car and check the suspension, brakes etc? That extra as well.

Why do I think that garage wouldn't stay in business very long? Answers on a 13mm washer please.

Sponsored Links
To be fair to BG that's what they say -

Gas pressure check to ensure the boiler is operating at the correct gas pressure
A flue test to ensure there are no unsafe emissions from your boiler
Inspect your boiler and controls to make sure they are operating safely
Leave a HomeCare® checklist with you with information about boiler safety
Visually inspect the boiler to check for corrosion and leaks

that's the blurb for the hard of technical ability, like our OP. i assume it's from a website.

in reality they expect much more but unfortunately rarely get it. woe betide any engineer who is caught out on a technicality though, a lot of previous jobs will then be checked by the RTM or his staff, any discrepancies are likely to have the enginer see his arse handed to him on a plate in neat sunday roast cuts.

i disagree with glaziers assumption that an independant will do any better, far more likely that the manufacturer will.

the OP obviously isn't capable of putting two and two together and making one test. did he do a gas rate?

The test plug is fitted at the boiler flue adapter to enable a test to be carried out if the flue terminal is not accessible i.e. high rise flat or vertical flue there is nothing wrong with taking the reading from the flue terminal! - BIG fuss about nowt in MHO :rolleyes:

To the OP....if you don't think they are doing it correctly then why do you continue to use them?

If you think you know better then do it yourself. :rolleyes:

I bet your one of those irritating people who stand 1" from the engineer while he is working.

Get over it. Move on.

does anyone have any technical advise i can throw at them, to make them check from the port inside? they always throw techno bable at me, too not do it.

There isn't any, your wrong, their right.

nothing much else to add, as a homecare customer each year you renew your contract your entitled to a safety check which is like an MOT rather than service on your boiler.
If your glowworm wasnt suitable to only just have combustion checks to assertain if its safe or not the engineer would be aware of this from the safety screen on their laptop. If the combustion checks recorded arnt satisfactory then a complete service as per the book your taking your information from would be necessary.
I wouldnt be concerned about not having a complete strip service, they will keep you safe and fix it if it breaks.

Ray

In 1970 I moved into a 2 year old house. BG to do the annual "service".

After 5 years, a BG gas man said that he couldnt finish work on the boiler because a water pipe was installed so that he couldn't remove the box to inspect the gas jets.

Since then I haven't bothered to have the boiler "serviced"; I just replaced it when it failed to operate. In the 40 years since 1970 I've bought three new boilers. The most recent 4 years ago. I reckon it should last at least another 10 years.

To the OP....if you don't think they are doing it correctly then why do you continue to use them?

If you think you know better then do it yourself. :rolleyes:

I bet your one of those irritating people who stand 1" from the engineer while he is working.

Get over it. Move on.

There isn't any, your wrong, their right.

You really do have an attitude problem don't you.

Can I suggest you get over it and move on?

You really do have an attitude problem don't you.

No....The OP continues to employ a company that he believes, do not know what they are doing.

To me that is weird.

When i get my car serviced i don't stand over the blokes shoulder saying "oooh ya don't do it like that" I use that garage because i believe they know what they are doing.
If i didn't believe they knew what they were doing i would take it elsewhere.
What is the point in going on the internet to find information so that you can tell the person you are paying how to do the job.

Can I suggest you get over it and move on?

Suggest what you like.

I'm in no way standing up for BG here but the test point from the internal point is only for the flue if it is a rear entry flue if it is a flexicom hx not a ultracom hxi! If the boiler dosent have a rear flue and has a top connection flue then they a using the FGA correctly. But on a different not the condense trap needs inspection and clean and also the max and min WP for the gas, water circulation for both heating and hot water and overall performance. I always check the gas rate to. But if you have a real problem don't use BG or stop complaining

... everytime time bg come around to do a service they have every answer under the sun, as to why they do not need to take this reading. they only check the reading from the flue, because its quick...
It's easier to give birth, than to raise the dead. In other words: next time you want your boiler serviced, call somebody else. :rolleyes:

Why is that so many people moan and whinge about how bad British Gas are, but keep going back for more?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back