Servis Washer awful noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My servis washer is about 18 months old and on the last wash it began crackling like a bunch of popcorn popping on its spin cycle. By the time I'd located the noise the spin was winding down and I put it to the back of my mind. Now I've gone to do a wash and as the washer starts it does a draining bit before it adds water and the noise sounds like the popcorn again or like broken glass dragging on metal. What do you think could be wrong. I have no plumbing experience so please simplify. Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
clean the filter out coins in there

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've had the filter out already and it doesnt need cleaning that i can see, i believe its sommat to do with the drainage, like the drain pipe or inside where it drains from the drum?

If you only get the noise when the drum is going round it sounds as if you've got something stuck between the drum and the tub. Coins and bra-wires are the favourite. I managed to get money out of my old Philips by tipping it forwards and hooking it out with a bit of baling wire. It was a right pain. I've heard that you can also get stuff out by waggling the machine about so that it comes out of the hole that goes to the pump. Get a torch and see if anything is visible through the perforations in the drum before putting your back out.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for ur reply. I've spun the drum, I'm rocked it back and forth and its fine, no noise. the noise only occurs when its trying to drain water. I've thought what it could be and I'm drawing a blank. I dont wash my bras in there so i know its not a wire, It could maybe be money but I'd be surprised if it was cos I dont really keep change in my clothes.

Hmmm.. Back to the pump pump then. I think I'd take the hoses off it and see if anything's stuck in them.
I'm not sure turning the drum by hand is sufficient to pick up any loose bodies in there. The sound you describe is very reminiscent of the one I had and I didn't get this every wash even - just when the turbulence of the spin happened to pick up the pet 20p piece that was stuck in there.
Happy hunting!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back