setting downIoad location in windows 10

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I need to download some large zipped files.

I want to put them straight onto a memory stick as my laptop is short of storage

when I download them they go to "This PC/Downloads"

I looked up the instructions to change the target, they say:

"Windows 10: Go to Settings > System > Storage > Change where new content is saved."

However, when I go there, they have options for "change where new content is saved"

and selection boxes for new apps, new documents, new music etc

(but nothing for zipped files, or "everything"

I changed all the boxes

but my zipped download went to this PC/Downloads and failed due to lack of space.

can I change it? how?

Sponsored Links
In Firefox: Settings/Files & Applications/Downloads/Browse

Not answering your original question, but it's probably worth doing a disk clean up - also select the "Clean up system files" option.

Sponsored Links
it does not offer me "save as"

the vendor has a "download to USB" button, though it does not actually do that. You click it and the download starts, though for some reason there is no "download in process" popup. I can only tell that it is downloading (or not) by looking at the target directory and seeing the file size grow (or not). One of the dowloads just stopped after about 4 MB, but there is no error message. Maybe there was a transient one when I was not looking.

If I right-click on the download button, it offers me a "save as" but this is not for the file, it is for "web page complete"

I have the same problem setting the target directory on Android.

Last edited:
On Windows, the second attempt at download also stopped at about 4GB (but not quite the same number). the full file is about 13GB

It looks like it might have gone into Download Pause, but there is no popup or window saying so or giving me the chance to Restart it. Ctrl Click does not help.

Windows says I can't eject the stick because it is still in use.

edit
the laptop is running google chrome, looking at Download history I can see several failed downloads, variously "disk full", "crashed", and "cancelled." I have just tried "Resume" on one of them.

well, thanks, I've got the original question answered.

I had several downloads fail with insufficient space.

Odd as the file itself is under 13GB and I have a 32GB stick.

It's failing at around 4GB

And the laptop has around 5GB free

I'm guessing that the process dumps to the laptop and fills it up before passing it to the stick.

In which case the laptop will never be able to do it.

I'll see how much space I have on the phone or tablet.

I'll use a bigger stick as I'll need to unpack the .zip

Sadly my tower is out of use as it was taking up too much room.

It's failing at around 4GB
4GB is the maximum file size supported by a FAT32 file system - some large USB drives are still pre-formatted as FAT32.
If this was the case, reformat the drive as NTFS, or exFAT and see if that helps.

Sponsored Links
Back