Setting out floor tiles to follow base units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
What is the best way of setting out floor tiles to follow the line base units will be in the kitchen. Kitchen is currently empty having done all the prep of replacing floorboards etc.

I want the grout line to follow a 4m wall run of base units rather than follow the walls (which aren't particularly staight!)

Wondering if there are any tips for this.

Thanks
Richard

Sponsored Links
i would go for half a tile showing
if you go for the grout line you will have no adjustment without it showing

Sorry, I should have explained it better, I plan to have about 1/2 tile showing from the plinth, but wonder if there are any tips to ensure the there isn't more tile showing at one end of the room than the other, ie so the grout line is pararell to the base units

Sponsored Links
Normal practice is to mark the central “x”-“y” axis between opposing/adjacent unit plinths & work back from there but the units must be fitted so the plinths are square & parallel using the worktops to take out any wall discrepancies with the wall; this will generally be far less noticeable. You should also take account of any “problem areas” where there may be discrepancies so they are not in immediate noticeable “line of sight” as you enter the room; usually the wall opposite the door has to be perfect.

There is "standard practice" but there are no hard & fast rules about how you achieve the best tile layout & doing so sometimes means completely ignoring it. It varies depending on the kitchen & unit configuration. Have you got a single run, L shape or U?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back