Setting out masonery joist hangers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to set out a batch of hangers identical to those below. Although the bottoms are 45mm as required, they come out of the box on a slight splay meaning the tops are anywhere between 50 and 60mm.

Being so springy, closing them up to 45mm and getting them to stay there is easier said than done. Am I okay to use the smaller holes on the top with, say, 30mm nails to tac them at the right width prior to mortar going down?

full

Sponsored Links
Why aren’t you just building the joists into the blockwork?

I'd convinced myself that hangers would be easier, plus modern standards to avoid gaps and drafts etc.

Also, my span is 4.74 so nicely suits a 4.8M joist. Building in I'd require 4.9M.

Sponsored Links
I'd convinced myself that hangers would be easier

Having said that, last night I was wondering about going back to a ledger plate and using timber jiffy hangers but I'm not convinced the thermalites would take the through-bolts very well.

Having said that, last night I was wondering about going back to a ledger plate and using timber jiffy hangers but I'm not convinced the thermalites would take the through-bolts very well.
Yeah deffo don’t do that

I'd convinced myself that hangers would be easier, plus modern standards to avoid gaps and drafts etc.

Also, my span is 4.74 so nicely suits a 4.8M joist. Building in I'd require 4.9M.
Can see the logic there, saves messing about with cut blocks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back