Setting out rafters-monopitch roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(Not sure if this should be here or in Woodworking....)

Situation- garage shell is up. Wallplates are on (machined with a 10 degree slope because the rafters are JJ I beams so can't be birdmouthed- manufacturer would rather have sold me some tarty clamps but agreed that sloping wallplate and skew nailing were completely acceptable. BCO also happy with the scheme). The high wall is currently 3915 above DPC, low wall is 2700 above DPC- once the joists, battens and roof sheets are on that'll take top height to about 4420 which keeps me inside the PP.

Plans

Sample rafter

Issues- While marking out the spacings for the rafters I found that the high wall is 30mm longer than the low wall and the door gable end is about 20mm longer than the other gable end. And the diagonals don't quite match (which is irritating because they did at ground level). There is also about 10mm of runout on the high wall and about 5mm on the low wall- nothing to worry about structurally but here come the questions;

Questions-
1 Will the bargeboard look like a dogs' hind leg if I just measure all the rafter lengths (by tape from outside edge of wallplate to outside edge of wallplate), add 10mm each end for badness/overhang and trim them to vertical (so the rafter ends and thus the bargeboard will follow the runout on the walls) or will I be better off setting a line outside each wall and measuring/marking the rafters to that (prefer measure- they're 35 kg apiece so really don't fancy lifting them up, marking, dropping, cutting and lifting again)?
2 Roof covering is going to be corrugated GRP sheets (not sure what profile yet, hopefully Big 6 since I can use any spare to overclad the stable). Anyway, am I right in thinking that there'll be enough flex in the stuff for me to lose the 30mm difference across 10 metres (by pushing the bottom overlaps tight and letting the top overlaps go a bit loose). I've done that trick with polycarbonate sheets but GRP is a new one for me.
3 Bargeboards- they need to be massive (350mm minimum, ideally 400mm) to cover the joist ends, wallplate, battens etc. Any thoughts on what would be best to use given that they're going to be nigh-on impossible to access for any maintenance once the roofing sheets are on- I'm thinking uPVC hollow soffit boards at the top (because they're moderately cheap) and uPVC bargeboards at the bottom (need something chunky to fit the guttering to) but any other suggestions gratefully received.

If there are any beartraps that I need to look out for on this job please let me know- this is the first time I've played with these JJ I beams and at about £60 each I don't really want to cock the job up. First roof I'll have done from scratch as well........

Sponsored Links
The 10mm to 30mm out at the plate is irrelevant, and can be easily sorted and lost as you fix.

I've no views on the other issues other than to say i think that in any modern fascia or barge board situation its best to go with plastic.

Keep a few tile laths handy, to pin to the top edges of the rafters to steady them, and use as roof ladders.
Two workers would be best and safest.

Have you got a Building Regs approval for this?
That 4m+ wall seems unusally high for single skin.

Sponsored Links
The 10mm to 30mm out at the plate is irrelevant, and can be easily sorted and lost as you fix.
. Hurrah- hoped that was the case
I've no views on the other issues other than to say i think that in any modern fascia or barge board situation its best to go with plastic.
. Certainly my inclination, especially with the difficulty of accessing for any maintenance. Just the pricing is a slight issue..... and with the setting-out my latest cunning plan is to make a cutting guide (the joists are too big for my chopsaw anyway), trim one end before lifting the joist, lift joist, mark other end cut, lay joist flat on the wallplates and cut sort of in situ. Going to test this theory tomorrow if the sleet holds off- if it doesn't I'll be indoors nogging joists!
Keep a few tile laths handy, to pin to the top edges of the rafters to steady them, and use as roof ladders.
Two workers would be best and safest.
Manufacturers recommend exactly that (diagonal temp bracing or fix ply/osb sheets for stability)- GRP will be fixing to 25 x 50 battens so no shortage of them on the job!

Have you got a Building Regs approval for this?
That 4m+ wall seems unusally high for single skin.
Indeed I have full planning and building regs- inspector has been out and checked the walls etc, told me to give him a shout when the roof is on. I'll be calling him in the morning to get his view on fixing these joists to wallplate- suppliers are ambiguous, mentioning skew nailing or framing anchors, straps on wall plates or twist straps on the joists- so I'll see what he prefers and do that (framing anchors are cheap enough & if I can avoid beating wall plate straps over the top of the wall plate I'll be happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back