Setting up as a handyman?

i wouldn't pay no handyman £200 aday

>People want a reliable tradesman that they can trust - it's easier to have one guy who can do most things then try and get recommendations for seperate trades.

ya but a handyman isn't a tradesman
jack of all trades master of none.

Sponsored Links
Most people will presumably have heard of, or read the posts from Dave - The Medway Handyman who is a regular on Usenet uk-diy.

Check out his website for services and rates

Sponsored Links
I agree but "I Started" means started self employment not started in the building game had 15 years experience by this time

never heard of him

Have you heard of Usenet (aka Google Groups) and the uk-diy group? :eek:

Probably the biggest and longest running uk DIY forum there is?

Well, he posts on there.

He's a handyman, and runs a handyman business, and has a handyman website... and so it may be relevant to check out his site :rolleyes:

it always amazes me when people come on here, who are prepared to get off of their backside and do something, ask for advice and get so many negative moaners jumping on them.

Youve got nothing to lose and you dont know where it will lead. Many people make a decent living out of doing similar types of work, especially if they can get in with any local landlords etc.

Look at your costs at what you really need to cover and work things out from there. Try to keep your overheads down to a minimum. You will pick up work from people if you are polite punctual, tidy and do a good job from them.

Alternativley you could just sit back and go on the dole, but then again youll probably get negative comments for doing that as well :rolleyes:

it always amazes me when people come on here, who are prepared to get off of their backside and do something, ask for advice and get so many negative moaners jumping on them.

Youve got nothing to lose and you dont know where it will lead. Many people make a decent living out of doing similar types of work, especially if they can get in with any local landlords etc.

Look at your costs at what you really need to cover and work things out from there. Try to keep your overheads down to a minimum. You will pick up work from people if you are polite punctual, tidy and do a good job from them.

Alternativley you could just sit back and go on the dole, but then again youll probably get negative comments for doing that as well :rolleyes:

not moaning just pointing out the major pitfall of this type of career having done it and not been very rich for doing so. advice should be truthful and sometimes the truth hurts!

but, not every job suits every person.

some may be happy at being a handyman.

I have nothing to lose except £60.50 per week Job Seekers Allowance, if O do it.

If I don't however, I stand to lose a lot more, like the house, the wife & kids (hmm, now I'm starting to see a real benefit :D ).

Although, Like I said - I have a job interview shortly, if I don't get that I'l start doing jobs for a local person, she has plenty needs doing and will put the word around. Word of mouth should do to get me some jobs to start with, enough to give me some money to improve my tools etc.
I know I need a new battery drill, ladders & a roof rack for the car to take em. till then I can do other stuff, like putting up curtain rails, fitting speakers to the wall, fitting the trellis thats been sat in the garden for 6 months etc.

It's a start....

As for Medway Handyman, got a link to his site?
EDIT: Found it

I know I need a new battery drill, ladders & a roof rack for the car to take em. till then I can do other stuff, like putting up curtain rails, fitting speakers to the wall, fitting the trellis thats been sat in the garden for 6 months etc.

and Public Liability insurance
also check you car is insured for business use!

Good luck Mattylad, you have the right attitude and that's half the battle.

If the 2million unemployed shared your outlook Britain wouldn't be in the state it is.

Perhaps the electricians here could comment on the Medway Handyman's electrical services ?

I thought you couldn't fit an outside light coz it's outside? lol
Unless Part P approved etc?

Am I able to change light fittings, replace damaged sockets like for like and other small minor jobs that I am competent at?

Outside lighting is notifiable IF the cable travels across the garden, any connections are made outside that are not in the enclosure provided on the light, it is a new circuit or the supply is taken from a kitchen or bathroom.
You can replace like for like and carry out alterations and extensions outside of special locations but for these i would advise having test equipment.

There will be other requirements regarding any possible electrical work you may do like making sure your work complies with 17th edition, main bonding is present and correct etc

Personally im thinking about doing something very similar to you at the moment so i wish you the best of luck with your new business.

Sponsored Links
Back