Sewage Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at buying a house. Noticed a major plumbing error in the basement. Seems the previous owner when hooking up the piping from above into the cast iron sewage pipe simple wrapped the pipes in a rubber sleeve and secured them with O-rings.

I can't seem to be able to post pics of it, but it is pretty nasty looking with I am not quite sure what all over the pipe and wall beside it.

Would this be an easy fix? Would you recommend replacing all the cast iron aspect?

Sponsored Links
AC4000 rubber couplings are usually used as joints and even repairs from plastic to cast or salt glaze pipes. You can see pics on the web. To be honest if your going to to be doing a bit of renovations for the sake of how much 110mm plastic waste pipe or whatever size you'll be using is, you may as well replace it. Saves the agg of a smelly flood later on, providing you can get at it all and have the right fall.

Have fun! :D

Corky thanks for your reply. Would you cut off the cast right at the bottom and then connect the PVC into it? What would I use for connecting the plastic to the cast that was remaining.

HI CC11 depending if the pipe is vertical/horizontal with a slight incline or not.
I would personally leave a spigot in order to slide a AC4000 universal joint over at each end of your new piece of pipe and only leave a 15mm gap to the cast spigot and this will give you room to work with. Then mark with a pencil or pvc tape the final position slide the joint over, tighten the clamps/jubilees then hey presto! ready for testing.
dont forget to use pipe supports every 1mtr-1.5mtrs if necessary! as you won't want to put any weight or stress on the cast pipe.
Also don't forget cast is self lubricating so a hacksaw and a steady hand is all you need to cut it and you may need some marigolds :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It's verticle, and the problem with the current set up is the pressure from the water coming down is seeping out of that rubber sheath. I didn't take it off but I'm guessing there's a pretty large size gap between and that the PVC isn't going inside the cast iron pipe, which it should be I would think.

Hi CC11 It may help if the PVC pipe goes inside the Cast pipe unless you can get an adaptor or correct fitting to slide over the pair of the pipes, thats why i would suggest a universal flexible joint. As long as both pieces of pipe are cleaned up and within a fairly close tolerence there shouldn't be any prob's.
And besides there shouldn't be a great deal of pressure if it's a gravity fed drain and not a pumped sewer main!

See how you go! Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back