Shallow filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
This might seem a silly question but i stripped a wall of wallpaper and as i was doing it a few patches of paint have flaked from the wall. What i need to know is whats the best way of filling this as its only the thickness of 1 or 2 coats of paint. Its only a few patches here and there and i want to paint the wall again. Also do i need to prime the filler and with what before painting.
Many Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you have removed areas of paint and in doing so you have exposed areas of plaster then you should apply a mist coat before filling, Then after lightly sanding smooth apply a mist coat over the filler.

It may also be possible to feather the edges of the existing paint thus eliminating the need for filler, yet this is sometimes difficult to achieve.

Ps a mist coat is just a thinned coat of preferably matt emulsion.

Dec

Also worth mentioning here is you should wash the walls down to remove any paste residue prior to painting.

Dec

Cheers. So I mist coat 1st then fill. What would be the best filler to use as its not a deep fill? Yes im going to suger soap the wall proir to painting.

Sponsored Links
You only need to mist if any the bare areas of skim and not the entire wall, then wash down with the sugar soap then wash again using warm water to remove any residue. As for filler try Red Devil.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back